SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

German railway diorama WIP March 30th update, pg3

46 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
German railway diorama WIP March 30th update, pg3
Posted by zokissima on Monday, July 20, 2009 8:55 PM

Ok, well I know I may not have posted much work in the last long while, but life has kept me busy. Finished my degree, finaly, moved to a new city, found new job, blah blah blah. I've had a project of this scale in mind for many years, and originally it was much bigger, so I thought I'd scale it down (heh) a bit. For your consideration, and hopefully much criticism, I present the following WIP, which I estimate will take...a very long time. I'm not going to presently name all the kits and figures used; they're all commercially available, and I chose them for their unity for the scene.

First off, the project; My fiancee and myself got this wall unit a while ago, but no longer use it for a TV, and it is now the main focal point of what we've made into our guest/hobby room. The large space you see in the middle is what I wish to fill. The base is roughly 40"x12", and the base is cut and constructed to fit in flush (given 1/4" tolerances) and a bit more space in front as it will ultimately be glassed in.

Now, as to the diorama as it currently stands. This is actually the third iteration of planing and I'm pretty happy with the balance the buildings lend to the scene. On the left, the entire area will be a board/side walk, leading on to a small access roade that is located where the entrance gate is (in the pictures), and leads off to the left, bordering the upper level of the scene. The railway will be populated by a Trumpeter Karl Morser on rails (the second of which is cut in half to accomodate the length of the scene).

The upper layer division will be a stone wall, with four large stone posts (to be posted soon), two of which will hold telegraph/power lines. There are a few streetlamps to be put into place, but as I said, these preliminary pictures are only for the placement of the vehicles and figures. ALL comments and criticisms are fully welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

While we're at it, anyone know where I can obtain a large amount of P/E fencing, or a good way to construct it?

Also, will latex rubber bind to resin?

The pics:

Posted by camo junkie on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:27 AM

and people thought my dio was BIG!! Laugh [(-D] looks good from my perspective...but what do i know about ww2 stuff. Confused [%-)] would like to see it painted to get a good feel for it but basicaly speaking...looks good! Thumbs Up [tup]

"An idea is only as good as the person who thought of it...and only as brilliant as the person who makes it!!"
Posted by deafpanzer on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:28 AM

OH BOY!  It is going to be FUN watching your process. Thumbs Up [tup] I see that many people have visited your forum but they didn't leave any comments.  WHY?  Cause they were shocked and speechless... just give them more time to say something. 

I noticed the wall between the railway and the station is pretty deep.  Is that what you wanted or it will be lowered?  Just wondering how folks can get into the train... that was my only thought.  Everything else looks exciting!

Andy

Posted by the doog on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:00 PM

My first thought was, there's no way his fiancee is going to let him put in a WWII german diorama into that space surrounded by glass, shiny plastic and family photos! Good luck on that! Laugh [(-D]

I think that the layout is fine, but I am a little concerned about the placing of the morser down into essentially a pit--it might diminish the impact of the vehicle by putting it below street level?

I've always just made my 1/35 fencing out of cocktail sticks, broken and/or sanded to scale.

Posted by Tankluver on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:36 PM
This dio looks like its going to turn out great
Posted by zokissima on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:19 AM
 deafpanzer wrote:

I noticed the wall between the railway and the station is pretty deep.  Is that what you wanted or it will be lowered?  Just wondering how folks can get into the train... that was my only thought.  Everything else looks exciting!

The idea is that this is essentially a two-tier diorama. The height division will be a retaining wall composed of large stone brocks (to be shown in next update). The dio does not depict the entire scene showing the full loading docks and whatnot for the train station; merely a small part of the town that overlooks this particular area of the railway.

Posted by zokissima on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:21 AM
 the doog wrote:

My first thought was, there's no way his fiancee is going to let him put in a WWII german diorama into that space surrounded by glass, shiny plastic and family photos! Good luck on that! Laugh [(-D]

lol you'd think so huh Smile [:)] Actually this thing was her idea. I had a bunch of display cabinets all over the place, and unfortunately during the move, many of my works were...met with an unhappy demise. She suggested that I take on a large project that would be an interesting centerpiece for that particular room. Go figure. I don't think I would have taken on something so large otherwise.

Posted by zokissima on Monday, July 27, 2009 3:19 PM

Brief update, I've laid in the brickwork for the retaining wall (made out of cork bricks, that took forever to make), along with the four columns that will hold the streetlamps (cast in plaster). I've laid in the railroad, cut off the excess, and filled in the ballast which is mixed out of white glue and pebbles. I've manufactured the fence you see on the lower part, but I'm unsure as to whether it is the look I am going for. I may yet have to scrap that, but I'm really unsure what to do for a replacement. I don't know where to obtain a large quantity of PE fencing that would be applicable.

I've also started to lay in the sidwalks slowly.

EDIT: I did a quick search on ebay for some suitable fencing, and made an order, it will probably be a bit of time before it comes in, but I have decided to immediately remove the fence I've built that's in the pictures currently.

Posted by psstoff995 on Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:42 AM
Very nice brick work, I bet it took forever!

-Chris

US Army Infantryman

Posted by zokissima on Monday, August 10, 2009 8:08 PM

Ok barely had time to make any progress. Just trying to enjoy the summer while its here. I know that come fall there'll be gloomier days and more time for this. But in the meantime, I've finished enough of the sidewalk section to fill in the neccessary spaces, and will now begin working on the remaining street section. A few tidbits will adorn the columns as seen, and the bases for the lamps are comming together. You can also see some of the parts for the lamps, and finally the fence that I ordered came in. The last shot is just a mockup to demonstrate the look of it.

Posted by zokissima on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:31 PM

Well summer is winding down, and I finally got around to working on this guy a bit. I primed the main buildings, and finished paving the entire dio. The road surface needs to now get a coat of diluted white glue, and when dried, primed flat black.

Posted by dj898 on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:32 PM

I think there are two stories on this diorama?

For me at least stroy wise it doesn't really work well...  Maybe focusing one main story and keep it as the centre piece and maybe 2nd story as the side story but in relation to the main story... Also several big buildings are kind of distracting rather than emphasing the story IMHO...

For the build itself I envy your skill. I wish I have half of the skill you have mate~ ^ ^

people living in glass colonies shouldn't throw nuclear stones.
Posted by psstoff995's lbro on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:27 AM

Great work on this build, it looks awesome!

I really like that new fence you got. Thumbs Up [tup]

-Will young modeler Test fit master
Posted by zokissima on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:26 PM
 dj898 wrote:

For me at least stroy wise it doesn't really work well...  Maybe focusing one main story and keep it as the centre piece and maybe 2nd story as the side story but in relation to the main story... Also several big buildings are kind of distracting rather than emphasing the story IMHO...

For the build itself I envy your skill. I wish I have half of the skill you have mate~ ^ ^

Definitely not disagreeing with you; there is obviously a strong disconnect between the two tiers of the diorama. I'm not sure how much stairs connecting the two would help...

• From: 41 Degrees 52.4 minutes North; 72 Degrees 7.3 minutes West
Posted by bbrowniii on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:38 PM
 zokissima wrote:
 dj898 wrote:

Definitely not disagreeing with you; there is obviously a strong disconnect between the two tiers of the diorama. I'm not sure how much stairs connecting the two would help...

I think you might be on to something - maybe a set of stairs down to the platform where the Munitionschlepper is going to be and a couple of people going up or down...?

Alternatively, could you have some people on the rail car interacting with people up above?  Having not seen the car, I don't know how it would work, but it might be something you could try.

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' - Edmund Burke (1770 ??)

Posted by zokissima on Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:33 PM

A very brief update, still haven't had time to sit down properly. But, this weekend, the buildings will start having the first layers of paint thrown on, and the large base will be basecoated in flat black.

For now, all I've done is fill in the grout using Pollyfilla fine, scraped away
the excess and wiped it down with a damp cloth.

Posted by zokissima on Friday, October 23, 2009 4:13 PM

Ok, its been a while, but finally this week I had a chance
to sit down at some painting; witness the results, the first building
is finished. You may recognize this as the Miniart French Cafe. I may change that stupid Munich sign, as I was really at a loss when it came to finish it. The building was basecoated with a mix of Tamiya acrylics, then weathered and finished with oils, citadel paints (great for hand-brushing), and pigments.

This weekend I'll finally start on two of the smaller vehicles.

All comments welcome.

Mic
Posted by Mic on Friday, October 23, 2009 4:20 PM

WOW! That really looks incredible, very realistic. Nice paint job!

Steve

Steve M.

On the workbench: every tool, paint, brush, glue I own

Posted by Macktheknife on Friday, October 23, 2009 5:10 PM
A small nitpick - if it's in German it's more likely that such a sign would say "München." Smile [:)]
Posted by zokissima on Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:30 AM

Macktheknife wrote:
A small nitpick - if it's in German it's more likely that such a sign would say "München." Smile [:)]

Thank you! If there was doubt before, now there is none, that sign has to come off Smile [:)]

Posted by zokissima on Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:57 AM
Ok a quick update on this one. Managed to get two vehicles painted up, but I will see if I can go back and tone
them down a bit, they may be a bit overly weathered. The decal on the Horch started silvering a bit, so I will have to probably reapply.
If you see any other errors, please point them out; they'll get fixed now or I'll move on to something else :)

Posted by zokissima on Monday, November 2, 2009 12:32 PM
Wow, almost a thousand views and no comments at all. C'mon, I know I must be making mistakes somewhere, so someone point them out...
  • From: 41 Degrees 52.4 minutes North; 72 Degrees 7.3 minutes West
Posted by bbrowniii on Monday, November 2, 2009 12:58 PM

zokissima wrote:
Wow, almost a thousand views and no comments at all. C'mon, I know I must be making mistakes somewhere, so someone point them out...

Ummm.... looks like some silvering around the 'G' decal?

I only took a quick look, but I think it looks good. 

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' - Edmund Burke (1770 ??)

Posted by zokissima on Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:07 PM
yeah definitely silvered on the Horch unfortunately. I've had to reapply that one entirely.
Posted by piet on Monday, November 9, 2009 5:31 PM
nothing wrong with the weatering looks good!!!
boersma
Posted by zokissima on Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:40 PM

Just a very quick update tonight, haven't had much time to work on this. Next week I will start painting the next building.

Posted by deafpanzer on Friday, November 13, 2009 11:52 AM
Nice work on the bike especially the MG and rolled tarps! Thumbs Up [tup] Are the tarps aftermarket or scratchbuilt? 

Andy

Posted by zokissima on Friday, November 13, 2009 1:32 PM
The tarp on the front of the sidecar is the item that came with the kit. Really nothing to write home about; its a pretty old kit. The one covering the seating position is just good old tissue paper and craft glue Smile [:)]
Posted by zokissima on Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:17 AM
Managed to finish these two Miniart buildings this morning. After standing back and looking, I am
actually a bit curious as to the shades of gray I will have to use for the street and sidewalks in order to avoid
them looking too similar in scale. I will now see what is next on the plate, either start the large base, or
more likely one more of the models. Leery to start the figures, just don't have the motivation for it yet :)
All comments and suggestions welcome.

Posted by sanderson_91 on Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:56 AM

Zokissima,

I really like this project and your vehicles and buildings.  How are the Miniart buildings to build?  I have one in the stash but have never worked with them before.  Thanks!

Steve

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.