SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

B-36 Peacemaker Group Build

818 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by lajntx on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:13 PM

Hi everyone, I`m going to be starting a B-36 Peacemaker GB in couple of weeks, and wanted to invite anyone who would be interested in participating.

Since this is a large build, there will be some modifications on the process vs your typical GB paramenters:

1. There is no official time frame other than the start date: December 1, 2011. This GB will be ongoing with no official end date - if there ever is one.

2. There are no parameters or restrictions on the models. They can be any scale, any manufacture, scratch build of any type or of any material. Models can can range from 0% to already 100% complete. Models currently in other GB`s or were used in previous GB`s are allowed as well.

3. Everyone is invited to participate. If you dont plan on building, have built, or just have an interest in these planes, you are cordially invited to share your insite and knowledge! :)

The pre-start chat can be found in the Airplane Forum at:

/forums/t/142612.aspx

With that being said....

If you have one of these in your closet collecting dust and keep telling yourself you will build it "someday", now`s the time for that someday.

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

On the Bench: B-36 paint test  fusealge & RB-36E assembly test build

In Que: YB-36 Conversion Build & B-36 carries B-58 Airframe to Wright Patterson

Conceptual Planning: RB-36 X-15 Mothership

Posted by traveller on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:59 AM

As much as I would like to join, I have too much on my plate. Besides where would I put it when I finish a 72nd scale one? Its bad enough I have a Tu-95 Bear in that scale!!! Anyway, good luck, I may reconsider it next yearBig Smile

Posted by bondoman on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:38 AM

Thank you.

That's a great attitude, because I for 1 would never ever build another. Kind of like a bad bicycle.

But it's a great piece of history, and served very well to keep Ivan at bay.

There's all kinds of stories from that era, my dad was working at SFO in the early fifties. One flew in for a static display and he and the other engineers went out a half hour before the scheduled landing. Here she came but a little civil job cut in ahead on the pattern. B-36 went to full power missed approach, they could feel the blast on their chests from about about 1/2 mile ahead of the approaching aircraft

Posted by lajntx on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:10 PM

traveller

As much as I would like to join, I have too much on my plate. Besides where would I put it when I finish a 72nd scale one? Its bad enough I have a Tu-95 Bear in that scale!!! Anyway, good luck, I may reconsider it next yearBig Smile

You could hang it in such a way to make it look like it shot down that bear. Stick out tongue

The build will be ongoing with no specific end date as I am sure most everyone who participates will take quite a bit of time to finish. Feel free to join in at any time if you change your mind. Big Smile

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by traveller on Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:38 AM

lajntx

traveller:

You could hang it in such a way to make it look like it shot down that bear. Stick out tongue

The build will be ongoing with no specific end date as I am sure most everyone who participates will take quite a bit of time to finish. Feel free to join in at any time if you change your mind. Big Smile

What a great idea, dogfighting bombers!!!!! Now I will definetly need to buy a warehouse to store all my stuff, and live in!!! I am sick of my place, getting too crowdedStick out tongue

Posted by lajntx on Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:36 PM

It`s now Dec 1, and we`re officially open!

Other than have fun, learn a little history, and share in some interesting builds, here are the official rules:

Since this is a large build, there will be some modifications on the process vs your typical GB paramenters:

1. There is no official time frame other than the start date: December 1, 2011. This GB will be ongoing with no official end date - if there ever is one.

2. There are no parameters or restrictions on the models. They can be any scale, any manufacture, scratch build of any type or of any material. Models can can range from 0% to already 100% complete. Models currently in other GB`s or were used in previous GB`s are allowed as well.

3. Everyone is invited to participate. If you dont plan on building, have built, or just have an interest in these planes, you are cordially invited to share your insite and knowledge!

Official Badges are as follows, feel free to copy and resize as needed:

Here is some research materials for those interested.

First is the videos.

To learn about the development  and the push for production of the long range intercontential bomber of the late 1930`s into the WW2, the best summary is done by Walt Disney`s: Victory Through Airpower

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
For B-36 specific development,  Convair B-36 Peacemaker, is probablly one of the best out there that is free of cost on Youtube

Also, the feature newsreel from 1949: Target - Peace!
From 1955: Stragtegic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart if you can get a copy, or watch on Youtube:
For Books, these two are the essentials:
Magnesium Overcast: The Story of the Convair B-36 by Dennis R. Jenkins
This also has a pictural supplement as well:
B-36 Photo Scrapbook
And this book: B-36 In Detail & Scale by Wayne Wachsmuth
Some other books - which are available free online are:
Squadron Signal Aircraft No 42 B-36 in Action
Convair B-36 Peacemaker a Photo Chronicle, by Meyers K. Jacobsen
That should be enough info for the first day. LOL
In a couple of days, I`ll go over the various 1/72 kits ( which I am familiar with ), with some pointers on how to buy/sell them on ebay. Hopefully someone else familiar with the 1/188 & 1/144 kits will lend what they know about them.
Tags: `

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by bondoman on Friday, December 2, 2011 1:56 AM

For the "as long as the sandwiches last" crowd, a few interesting things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loring_Air_Force_Base

The northernmost SAC base.

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/bases/0-base-homepage2.htm

I'm working on my list of one-time refueling fields in the northern territories, more on that soon.

Minicraft made a series of 1/144 models that are IMO the better representations of the aircraft. In particular the B.

Posted by sub revolution on Friday, December 2, 2011 2:43 AM

I would REALLY like to build this someday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_NB-36

Would that count for this GB since it was technically a B36 airframe?

It's still a looooong ways off for me, but if this has no end date, I plan to do it.

NEW SIG

Posted by bondoman on Friday, December 2, 2011 3:12 AM

IMO of course it would. There's a couple of adequate plan drawings in the jenkins book.

Another possibility is the XC-99.

Posted by sub revolution on Friday, December 2, 2011 3:34 AM

Bondo-

Thanks for the info! Aside from the small amount on Wikipedia and other websites, I have found very little about the plane. Is it the Magnesium Overcast or the Photoscrapbook one?

Also, I thought the Jimmy Stewart movie featured B47s, not B36s. Or is it both? Never actually seen it.

Thanks

NEW SIG

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 2, 2011 10:04 AM

Hi Sub Revolution,

To answer your questions, the best book I have seen to date about the XC-99 & the proposed airline versions of it ( but never built ) was: Warbird Tech Series`s Vol. 24, Convair B-36 "Peacemaker" also by Dennis R. Jenkins

It can be a bit pricey new, but can be had almost for a song and a dance used on Amazon or ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Convair-B-36-Peacemaker-Warbird-Tech/dp/1580070191

Also see the end of Part 1 and begining of Part 2 of Convair B-36 peacemaker for some video of the XC-99. After running out of use, the XC was litterally parked and abandoned for nearly 50 years. Today it is undergoing full restoration at the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH

As for your other question. In Strategic Air Command Jimmy Stewart also flies B-36`s and if memory serves me correct later transfers to B-47`s. Here is the scene where he is simply an observer on his first B-36 flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruE8yhkHke8

As for the NB-36, an online  friend of mine also makes the aftermarket kits to convert a stock kit at: click2detail.com

1:44

http://click2detail.com/products-details.php?pro_id=246

1/72

He said he would be joining us later with his XB-36 & NB-36 conversion builds.

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 2, 2011 10:54 AM

It`s looking like I am going to be pressed for time for the next few weeks due to this being the busy season at work, and thought I would go ahead and punch this one out since this will be one of my last days off before the fun at work begins.

Today I will be covering the various 1/72 kits through Revell/Monogram since I am most familiar with them. Hopefully others with experience on the 1/188 & 1/144 scales will chime in on their expeience with them. Also, I`ll cover how to buy/sell the 1/72 kit on ebay to help others whom cannot find this locally get a kit at a reasonable price, and tips to help those whom decide to sell theirs to maximise the profit margin.

For a good history about the various model kits since the early 1950`s the best resource out there is this book:

It can be a bit pricey if purchased "new" from a place that still has them, but with a little looking buying used on ebay or amazon brings a significant savings. I purchased mine on ebay for $15 & free shipping.

In 1980, Monogram release the first issue of its current 1/72 offering. Though it wasnt the first manufacturer to offer 1/72, the marketing line used at the time was " The LARGEST plastic scale model airplane kit ever produced! ". This would be a title it held for several years until the 1:48 B-1 kit was released. Also, used in advertisements of the era was the "great buy" this rather large kit was as it was only $15 at your local retailer or hobby store.

The Box Art was adequate:

And it came with a basic set of decals

Soon thereafter a few companies began to produce some aftermarket parts for this kit -- esp decals so one was not limited to just a stock build.

In 1989, the second release was released with a new box art, but a new decal sheet ( same as 1991 ).

This kit though not the best for the person whom actually wants to build it, is perhaps the best to sell on ebay- esp if it is still enclosed in the shrink wrap. It always seems to draw a higher price than the 1980 kit unless the 1980 kit is in far better condition.  Consesquently, those looking to buy a kit should not engage in a bidding war for this kit unless they like to spend too much money.

In 1991, the third release followed with a carry over on the decals

In 1997, the fourth release was marketed as a Revell/Monogram and came in two offerings with the same box art with decal offerings standard to both `97 kits

Though both kits were identical, the only difference was in box size. Here is a picture of my collection of both kits to illustrate the size difference:

In  2002, Revell Germany released perhaps the best 1/72 kit to date simply because the decal sheet finally included the walkway and other common marking stripes saving the consumer another $15-$20 USD from buying this sheet aftermarket. This kit usually costs a little more, but is worth it due to the savings in having to buy that extra sheet.

Finally, In 2008, the most current kit was release with new box art and a new decal sheet that DID NOT include the walkway stripes and misc commom B-36 markings.

Now that the various kits are covered, lets cover the aspects of aquiring on ebay should your local stores be sold out and unable to get any through their suppliers. Here are some pointers. All prices in USD

1. An online dealer with a kit in stock ( if you are lucky to find one ) is going to want around $49.95 +/- $10 and around $20 +/ $5 for shipping. Most online dealers selling will likely have either the `97 or `08 kits

2. An online dealer selling "vintage kits " ( `80 & `89`s ) will want between $75-$200 for theirs. Dont waste your time as there are better deals to be had on ebay competing with them for those kits and the various others that will be on there as well.

3. Pictures tell a 1000 words ( and the story ) always look at the pictures displayed closely

4. ALWAYS read the ad in its entirety before bidding. You dont want to buy someone else`s half started scrap set do you? Look for kits with ALOT of pictures, if there arent many pictures and the box doesnt appear to still have the factory shrink wrap intact.. .ask the seller questions about the kit

So now you have decided to look on ebay and watch for the best deal.

1. Just like poker, dont play your best hand at first. Someone will always be willing to spend a little more than you. Patience is key, and waiting until the last few minutes is best.

2. Look for kits ended at odd times to reduce the chance that someone else will be waiting in the wings the last few minutes as well. By odd times I mean those times when most people are at work or spending family time. Ebay ( in the US ) is set to Pacific time. Keep that time change in mind when looking to bid. Ive noticed that kits set to end on sundays before most people get out of church or away from the families are often the best ones to snatch up at a bargain.

3. Always search with differnent search terms: B-36 Peacemaker, Convair B-36, Monogram B-36... and most importantly look for #3a

3 A. These days a lot of people are selling their stuff through a reseller. The ebay reseller will often simply use the title on the box of the item being offered which is a boon for you as most people dont search this one: RB-36H Peacemaker Monogram ( or Revell ). Ive snatched up three kits relatively cheap with this trick. The first 2 I only paid $20 because nobody else knew the listing was there. Here is the example of the Third where I paid a little more for an `08 kit, because someone else figured out the trick, but still got it under the $29 price I wanted to pay.

Here is the listing, Notice it is now < 4 minutes to go and nobody has bid with the starting bid still at $20. As you will notice as you look around on ebay and watch the auctions for these kits by this time the bidding war has already started and is in full effect. However since the reseller listed it as a " RB-36H Peacemaker Monogram Airplane Kit " nobody has seen it yet. I know I dont want to pay more than $29 for this, so I make my opening bid of $21 and wait until the last minute to make my move.

At this time I will go over how I buy kits on ebay. Before bidding I put a price in my head of the most I am willing to pay with the price of shipping being offered by the seller. In this case It`s only $9.99 via UPS,  which is rather reasonable seeing most auctions tend to be around $15. On this one I decided I only wanted to spend $29 tops. I placed my opening bid of $21 as the first bidder with < 4 min to go. At this time, if someone else already had the price up ( or over ) the price I had in mind... I would simply walk away.

Now comes the next step... How to beat those other potential pesky "other bidders". I`m at $21... the listing in this case was still $20.... I know $29 is my max.... I go back in and up my bid to $25 with 45 seconds to go thinking nobody else is on this ( as I thought )... I place $25 stil expecting it to say $20 and nope.. it say $23.55 - We have a competitor and it`s game on. In this case most bidders will start to increase in slow upward increments. If you find yourself trailing, now would be a good time to put all your cards on the table and place you maximum bid, In my case I know I am ahead ( right now ) and the other bidder is either likely the seller trying to increase the price, or a 9/10 chance they will only likely go up a few dollars to try and beat me at the end.....

At 28 seconds... I upped my bid to $27... sell price increased to $25.50 -- I beat him again!

I`m not done... I`m still winning. At this time if its the seller, they most likely will back off, another bidder is probablly going to up it a couple of dollars.... around 15 seconds on the counter I plance my maximum bid of $29 to wait and see, and...........

Success!

I beat the other bidder because I felt they would only go up a few dollars at a time ( and guessed right ). Always if you are trailing in the last minute.... bid your max to see if you can overtake the high bidder.

Looking at the other end. Let`s say you have a kit that you want to sell on ebay.

1. If the kit is still in shrink wrap --- DO NOT OPEN IT! Insead take several pictures of the box at differnt angles ( sides ) to show the box`s condition with intact wrap... Intact wrap = more $$

2. Use the broadest generic title and search time such as B-36 Peacemaker. Dont make the $20+ mistake resellers do by listing it as a "RB-36 peacemaker Monogram".  Myself ( and now a few others ) will be happy to buy it cheaply from you. ;)

3. Sell it at the right time. Ensure the ending time is between 9 & 10Pm Pacific time. This way everyone looking in the eastern time zones will see your listing as well. Thursday & Sunday nights at 9/10Pm Pacific seem to be the difference between $27.70 & $40+

4. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! When you think you have enough... take 3 more. display the most ebay will let you. If the kit is open and still on the trees... Take pictures of every tree

5. Be honest... Dont call your kit pristine when it isnt. Even broken/Started kits also have a market on ebay by those looking for a started kit or ones just for the spare parts value... sell those at the suggested times for maximum price

6. Shipping... Average charge on ebay is around $15. Be aware that the US Post Office Considers this to be an "Oversized Package" by about 2 inches. Expect to pay $12-$15 in actual cost to ship it to the buyer ( more if its overseas or in a distant zone. UPS for mainland US Shipping for this box is about $7-$12 pending rate class & distance.

That covers the basics of the kit and ebay selling and buying... Post me a question on here if you have any about this subject

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by bondoman on Friday, December 2, 2011 11:47 AM

sub revolution

Bondo-

Thanks for the info! Aside from the small amount on Wikipedia and other websites, I have found very little about the plane. Is it the Magnesium Overcast or the Photoscrapbook one?

Also, I thought the Jimmy Stewart movie featured B47s, not B36s. Or is it both? Never actually seen it.

Thanks

You'll want to see it. Most of the movie is in and around B-36's, quite a bit and some beautiful inflight sequences.

B-47 figures in at the end, and also I believe a KC-97. Also toss in F-84s, C-47,s, a C-97 and glory be, a great sequence with C-124s being loaded with spare engines and taxi-ing away. In that one, look for the spotter standing up in the opened nav dome.

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 2, 2011 12:31 PM

bondoman

You'll want to see it. Most of the movie is in and around B-36's, quite a bit and some beautiful inflight sequences.

B-47 figures in at the end, and also I believe a KC-97. Also toss in F-84s, C-47,s, a C-97 and glory be, a great sequence with C-124s being loaded with spare engines and taxi-ing away. In that one, look for the spotter standing up in the opened nav dome.

Agreed!

This movie can also be difficult to find in the US as only one supplier sells it in DVD format. Lots of places to buy it in VHS though.  I checked and TCM doesnt have a planned airing anytime soon. Hopefuly that will change, and I`ll post on here should they every schedule it to be aired

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/4246/Strategic-Air-Command/

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, December 2, 2011 3:33 PM

By request, a copy of a PM I wrote regarding old decals and Testor's decal bonder:

The product I use is called Testor's Decal Bonder... Runs about 4.50-5.00 for a 3oz rattle-can... I buy mine at Hobby Lobby..

I won't say it's 100%, but it's 99.9% effective, at least... If the paper is curled badly and the decals crack when you flatten the sheet, then they're probably goners, although I have sucessfully "saved" some cracked ones that were first cut out of the sheet, then sprayed individually...

I spray it on a couple of light coats, letting about 15-20 minutes elapse between them, then let it dry for a couple hours, and it's ready to use... Just be sure to apply it heavily enough that it completely covers the sheet, but light enough that it doesn't run or puddle...

The stuff is actually a clear decal film... It turns the whole sheet into one giant decal...So don't just drop the decal in the water without trimming it close to the ink... I've used it on decals that're easily 20-30 years old.. It reacts well with Testor's Decal Set (or a 60-40 mix of white vinegar/water ), it's flexible, and it doesn't crack like clear laquers enamels when you apply them to compound curves...

Be sure to keep it off the back of the paper, since if you get it back there, it'll lock the decal and paper together for all eternity...

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, December 2, 2011 3:37 PM

You might want to consider re-sizing the badges in your siggy... Or just using the thumbnails.. The ones you have on there right now are forcing me to use the slider-bar to even begin to read any of the posts...

This is the thumbnail.. Might have to re-do the lettering too, to make easier to read in this size...

Posted by Kugai on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:23 PM

Okay, guys, here's where mine has been for the past few years...

IMG_0237.jpg

Given the experimenting I'll be doing on the bomb bay, I doubt I'll be able to get this done by the time we'll be moving in the summer.  At this point, I plan on getting this down from the shelf and the easily-lost parts in some containers.  I'll also get to work on some sub-assemblies ( props, crew areas, etc. ) here pretty soon with the idea being to have the small stuff and maybe some bay work done before the move, and be ready to get the big stuff done after the move.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/No%20After%20Market%20Build%20Group/Group%20Badge/GBbadge2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by Kugai on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:52 PM

After more than 10 years, I finally looked in the box.  As I said, this was a free kit given to me by someone who'd decided 20 years collecting dust on his shelf was enough time to decide he wouldn't be building it.

Apparently, he had considered it, though, and not put the instructions back in the box.

On top of that, of the 6 props this thing's supposed to have, there are only 5 that I could find, and 2 of those are broken.

So, even if I hadn't originally intended to do a little customizing, I'll be doing it now.  I'll have to check in more detail once I get a set of instructions to make sure that there are no more parts missing, but worst -case scenario I see is gear up and doors open will be the plan with the old clear styrene disks painted for the blurry pinning props look.

But, hey, this kind of fun is what this hobby's all about, right?

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/No%20After%20Market%20Build%20Group/Group%20Badge/GBbadge2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by jeaton01 on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:07 PM

Is there going to be a list of participants on the front page?

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 9, 2011 11:37 AM

Hello again Kugai,

I can help you on all 3. 

1.) The instructions.... I looked online for the instructions, and they are not there unless you want to pay for them. The only 1980 kit I have is still factory shrink wrap sealed, and that`s how its going to stay as I let it age like a fine wine and climb in re-sale vale! lol However, I am in negotiations with a scrap kit, that is a 1980 kit, and I would be more than happy to stick that in an evelope and mail it too you. Also, if I dont win that I have several 1997 kits to which I can send one of those if it comes to that. The only thing that should be different is the decal application..

2.) I have 2 extra props as one of my builds ( the 36/58 combo ) only requires 4, and would be more than happy to send you one. Plus I`ll have 6 more if I manage to get that "scrap" kit at the right price.

3.) The broken prop... You are going to have to construct some sort of jig to hold that thing in place while you glue that broken blade(s) back on until the glue dries and it sits. Ive purchased 8 kits in the last year and only one of the them has ever arrived with all 6 props intact.... It was a 2008 relase btw. I  have another `08 in route that will be here next week, if that arrrive intact then we`ll know it`s true that Monogram used a better plastic composit blend for kit molding. The plastic looks a little different color wise when you compare the parts out ofthe box of an `08 to any of the previously released versions.

Let me know on the instructions and blade

John

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 9, 2011 12:04 PM

Hi John,

I was like a drooling kid in a candy store looking at your builds. Smile

As far as being like the other GB`s and making a list of participants with what they are going to build, I decided against that, and to make this GB a come as your are - and when you can - GB due to the model being built.

The B-36 model ( esp the 1/72 ) is kind of like the "Christmas Puppy" everyone gets, and then it ends up unwanted at the pound within 6 months. Yes, the kit looks big and enticing and exciting to buy. The problem is when most people get it home they just cant get around to getting started because it`s so "big", and it gets put off and off. Other kits one can typically build in a few free days spread over a month, but not this one, and thus it gets put off and eventually forgotten. I`m willing to bet that most garages/storage closets of homes in the USA have at least one of the two of the following in them: A tennis racket, and an unstarted B-36 Kit. 

Aint that right Kugai? LOL!  Stick out tongue

Most people I have communicated with online whom build their 1/72 to completion have given construction times of actual clock hours of between 40-80 hours. I`m willing to guess most people just dont have that much free time to devote in large chuncks. Most people can do an hour here, 30 minutes there, and maybe half a day every couple of months. With that being said, this GB will allow everyone to share their progress and to give/get tips, spare parts, info, stay moticated, etc.

Also, anyone whom doesnt plan to build but wants to talk about the B-36 or even the kit in generaly is allowed to join.

As for myself, here are my projects:

Build #1 -- Stock RB-36 Build to become aquainted with the kit- Starting over Christmas Holiday

Build #2 - YB-36 as it appeared in 1947/48 - Sponsored by Click2detail.com. To be dedicated in memory of the late Walter Soplata

Build #3 - restart my B-36 carries B-58 to Wright Patterson in `57. To be donated to a local Museum

Builds 4- 7 - B-36B with Artic red tips, WWII "what if" build, and BM-015 - The City of Ft Worth, The last peacemaker at peacemaker park in 1959.

That should keep me occupied for 2-3 years. LOL

Would enjoy having you join are group and share your modeling insight even if you dont ever plan to build

John

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by jeaton01 on Friday, December 9, 2011 5:25 PM

I scanned the instructions and put them on my website.  Right click to download.

The link will be:

http://yolo.net/~jeaton/fsmforum/b36monoinst/b36inst.html

Edit:I will get have the pages up later this evening.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 9, 2011 7:58 PM

jeaton01

I scanned the instructions and put them on my website.  Right click to download.

The link will be:

http://yolo.net/~jeaton/fsmforum/b36monoinst/b36inst.html

I will get the pages up later this evening.

Cool! Thanks John.

Next question for you... Have you ever scratch built the enternal bombay componets of your builds?

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by Cadet Chuck on Friday, December 9, 2011 9:03 PM

I built the Revell-ogram kit last year.  Bad kit.  I did the best I could with it, and hung it over my basement workshop.  Don't try to follow the painting instructions of various metallic shades-  mine really looks bad, but probably my own fault.  Not recommended for any but the most experienced modelers.

Gimme a pigfoot, and a bottle of beer...

Posted by lajntx on Friday, December 9, 2011 9:46 PM

Cadet Chuck

I built the Revell-ogram kit last year.  Bad kit.  I did the best I could with it, and hung it over my basement workshop.  Don't try to follow the painting instructions of various metallic shades-  mine really looks bad, but probably my own fault.  Not recommended for any but the most experienced modelers.

Hello again Chuck,

You do bring up some very good points about the paint schemes- esp concerning the metallic shades.

There are some builds out there on the net that provide pointers on how to accomplish the metallic coloring...

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/kolb36.htm

http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6701-6800/gal6758-B-35-Irving/00.shtm

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/archive/revell-monogram-1-72-rb-36-peacemaker-5712__o_t__t_15705.html

And from our very own Lucien Harpress

/forums/p/67963/677619.aspx

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by Kugai on Friday, December 9, 2011 10:06 PM

Thanks for the info and offers, guys.

As far as the props are concerned, I'm taking into account that we're not going to be getting a house anytime soon ( so packing this thing for a move is a consideration ), I'm okay with the "spinning props" idea with clear styrene.  The original parts just seem too fragile to survive a move, especially since I think the plastic's a bit brittle from age.

I took a second look at the kit and spotted another problem: the clear dome for the nose is missing as well.  I'm hoping it'll turn up, but if not I'll have to come up with a solution.  At worst, I can buy another kit if my son's interested in trying this thing someday ( or, if he's not interested, it can be something for the spare parts/greeblies box, a big "what if" build at some point, or something I can hand off to another modeler in 20 years ) and cast a clear resin copy of the part.

Posted by bondoman on Friday, December 9, 2011 10:52 PM

Not having the nose is a problem. I messed mine up by wiping it briefly with lacquer thinner, and could not find a new one. I ended up painting it green, and it looked pretty good.

It should be clear green like the other glass.

RIP Harry Morgan. What,  you haven't done your homework?

If you don't have wing walk decals,  start by painting the wing black, then lay down tape and do the aluminum.

Posted by jeaton01 on Friday, December 9, 2011 11:03 PM

lajntx

Next question for you... Have you ever scratch built the enternal bombay componets of your builds?

No.  Haven't done that yet.  I generally build because I like the models to display sort of as a technical and operational history of aviation and going too far in detail cuts down my already slow production.  But the B-36 is a natural for display with GSE and a few bombs about.

John

Posted by lajntx on Monday, December 12, 2011 8:10 PM

bondoman

Not having the nose is a problem. I messed mine up by wiping it briefly with lacquer thinner, and could not find a new one. I ended up painting it green, and it looked pretty good.

It should be clear green like the other glass.

RIP Harry Morgan. What,  you haven't done your homework?

If you don't have wing walk decals,  start by painting the wing black, then lay down tape and do the aluminum.

Hi Bondoman,

What specific kit did you have? All the revell/mongrams I have are clear plastic parts. I know there was an older kit made that had the retro coke bottle clear green tint. Was the the kit you built?

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by jeaton01 on Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:48 PM

Looking a Monogram kit over, all my props are fine. 

I'm noodling on fixing the wing/fuselage join by lowering the wing some.  I have a number of the kits and one is going to donate wings for the XC-99 so I can afford to goof up.  I think I will put the fuselage together with white glue and then cut along the wing to fuselage intersection lines which are very definite.  After that I will join the wings to the root segments and jig the wing up true and fit that assembly back to the fuselage, trimming the bottom of the root on the fuselage until the wing is lowered to the proper level.  After that I may make a resin mold of the new center where the wing joins so I can use that on other builds.  The new part would be an insert for the upper fuselage out of resin that replaces the removed area between some of the panel lines so it is easier to fit.

John

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.