Thanks guys, It has felt like eons since I posted an update and it looks like the project start pics have all expired (thanks facebook)>:( . I'm happy to say that for the last three months this build has been my primary focus and will be worked on until completion. Currently the model is over 55% complete and everyday is chugging closer to the finish line,
Since the last post the tank is running, sealed up, and is being detailed. Currently most of the hull details have been completed along with many new firefly specific parts
On the tank's rear section all of the exhaust details, grills, and tow hitch equipment was fabricated / mounted
The rear doors started off as the armortek kit supplied units and were reworked. For added detail an armorpax british box smoke discharger system was added. The armorpax units were modded to be full function and were modded to mount to the sherman's doors.
The British leaf spring tow hitch was also fabricated / installed. The tow hitch was also added to the ECA catalog, http://eastcoastarmory.com/m4.htm
The last of the hull RC functions that was added was the remote lighting system, once this was out of the way the tank could start it's seal up
Basically the same mods/ improvements that were made to my A4 were done to this build as well
This was also true for the bow hatch area. The stock armortek parts give a good base skeleton for the build up with epoxy, to get the appropriate all cast mosaic look of the real tank
Just like I wrote in the A4 build log, The kit does supply you with a basic set of CNC hatches, however in place of using them I swapped in a set of my resin early sherman hatches instead
The kit does supply you with a set of Armorpax interior periscope inserts and brush guards, and these were used on the ECA hatches as they were a drop in install
The one difference to point out between the two sherman builds is that on my build I deleted the details for the counter open spring system, while this build has the springs present. This was because the version that my build replicates was an early production pattern and were not yet developed, By the time these M4A4 tanks were handed over to the brits the spring system were present
The hatches were mounted to the model and everything was blended in via the bodywork
The one new feature that I added to the model that is specific for the Firefly is that of the Bow MG plug. Because of the longer 17 pounder ammo the brits had to delete the assistant driver position, when this was done the bow M1919 was removed and a large armored steel plug was added in place
A new resin detail plug was fabricated and was added to the ECA catalog,
The rest of the tank's front detailing is mostly standard, lights, brush guards, mudflaps, aplicate armor, lift hooks... etc. All these parts are the same off the self units found on my other builds and found on the ECA site.
With the front basically out of the way I have turned my attention to the top deck and sides of the model, the detailing that was added would include the two front blowers and side armor. The armor was kit supplied and used OOB, and the blowers were ECA
A few youtube video update were made going over in more detail the work that was made,
and more pics were posted on the facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/EastCoastArmory/
Since these pics were taken currently I'm wrapping up the side, upper deck, and rear deck fittings / details. There are also several new firefly parts that are currently about to go into mold and will be posted soon!
At my current pace I should be on the turret within a week, and once there the build will be entering it's final lap!! more to come!