SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

HMS Victory 1797 build log

310 views
6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    August, 2018
HMS Victory 1797 build log
Posted by Flint on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:52 AM

Although I bought the Heller 1/100 kit a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted to modifiy it to reflect how Victory would've looked circa 1797, Battle of Cape St Vincent era. In my opinion, that's when she looked her best. So, in that time I've been researching as much as I can to get solid details on what needs to be changed. This has been quite hard, as there's not a lot of information to go on. There are elements to the build which have conflicting information, in which case I will be going with what I think is best. Afterall, it'll be sitting in my lounge when it's done. As far as I know, at the time she had:

 

The ornate Figurehead and Stern with open galleries.

4 stern chaser gun ports

Rope wooldings on the masts.

Two entrance ports with balconies.

No Caronades on the forecastle

42lb cannons on the lower gun deck.

100 cannons in total.

Fore and Main chainwales underneath the upper gun deck ports.

Shortened Gaff and Boom on the mizzen.

Taffrail on the poop deck.

Plus other smaller details that warrant no mention as yet.

 

Any additional info would be great from you guys. I know a few others have done the 1765 version (and they look fantastic), but this one is in a bit of a grey area when it comes to confirmed details. (which gives me more artistic license!) Wink

 

As the stern is a major defining part of the build, I've decided to tackle that first. If I can't get this right, then I may as well bin the project. As you can see from the picture even at this basic stage I've made major changes. I've extended the Tafferel, cut the curve for the cove, put in the first foot rail and created the pillars to allow for the row of eight windows she had at the time. Doesn't look like much work, but believe me, it's taken a long time to get to this point (including a dry fit). Working on the windows next.

 

 

Flint

 

  • Member since
    July, 2013
Posted by steve5 on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:29 PM

that look's excellent flint , think I'll grab a glass of something cool , sit back and enjoy this mate .

 

  • Member since
    July, 2006
Posted by Michael D. on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:46 PM

Nice work FlintYes, I've seen pictures, sketches and models of Victory during this period with 8 and 9 windows, I just flipped a coin and moved forward on my build, at some point like you already realized you just have to go with what you like!. Most of what you listed looks accurate, but from what I've read she would've had 2 carriage guns of 12 pounds and 2 carronades of 24 pounds on the Forecastle deck and 6 carronades of 18 pounds on the Poop deck.

Your 1797 conversion will be exciting to watch for sure.

 

Michael D.

 

  • Member since
    August, 2018
Posted by Flint on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:50 PM

Cheers Steve, hope it's a good brew Beer

 

Thanks for extra info Michael, will look into that nearer the time. 

 

Funny that the two builds I was referring to are by the first two people to comment on mine. Great work by both of you. Yes

  • Member since
    August, 2018
Posted by Flint on Monday, September 17, 2018 6:43 AM

Update: I've created and installed the windows for the stern, added the pilasters in between the wardroom windows (although you can't see the detail in the pic) and cut the initial holes for the four stern chasers. It took me three attempts to get the glazing bars right as I wasn't satisfied with thickness of the bars. I researched several methods for making windows including painting on the glass, 3D printing and buying etched parts, but I wanted to make them myself. In the end I managed to cut 0.25mm strips off the edge of some 0.5mm styrene which as you can imagine coiled up. I was able to straighten out the sections I needed and attached them to the frames. I've lowered the outside stern chaser ports a couple of mm lower than the inner ports, as the curve of the stern made the straight line look a bit odd. I'm quite happy with how it's going so far. All looking a bit grubby at the moment though. Onto the carvings next I think...

Flint

  • Member since
    November, 2009
  • From: Twin Cities of Minnesota
Posted by Don Stauffer on Monday, September 17, 2018 8:22 AM

Looking great!

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

  • Member since
    July, 2013
Posted by steve5 on Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:18 AM

very nice work flint , 

 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.