SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

The Ostfront (eastern front) GB 2010/11

900 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
The Ostfront (eastern front) GB 2010/11
Posted by kermit on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:42 AM

Starting date and ending date are updated; Join any time!

After posting the general idea on the forum i had considerable response to it so here's the official GB thread for you guys... Hope it will turn out to be fun for everyone interested and/ or participating...

Anyone is invited to join anytime during the GB if you are confident you will finish your build within the allocated time.

SITREP:

This Group build involves anything (land, sea and air) used on the eastern front during WW2. This involves ofcourse Russia and Germany but also all the Axis and Allied parties involved during this particular conflict. Lend lease stuff would also apply.

Starting date is September 3rd and end date a full year later on October 1st 2011. People enlisted and still building at that date will be allowed to finish their builds after that dateWink

RULES:

None whatsoever apart from the usual ones:

1: Everybody is welcome

2. Aftermarket, scratching.... go ahead

3. WIP's and shelved builds allowed to a reasonable degree (up to 33%?)... Crossovers are fine too

4. WIP pics are a must.

5. Having fun is most important of allWink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you notice i forgot to mention your kit or did not mark it as finished, please PM me and i will correct the mistake

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTICIPANTS:

Aaronw - Hobbyboss Mig 3 - 1:72 FINISHED

ICM I-5 - 1:72

Bish - Dragon Sd. Kfz. 251/6 Ausf. C command vehicle - 1:35

Bouttime - Tamyia Pz.IV Ausf.N - 1:35 FINISHED!!!

Bufflehead - Italeri BT-5 - 1:35

- RPM T-26T artillery tractor + Bronco M1936 (F2) 76,2mm Field gun - 1:35

CaptainMorgan - AFV Sdkfz 251/4 Ausf C Tracked Vehicle w/leFH18/40 Howitzer Gun - 1:35

Castelnuovo - Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 222 Leichter panzerspahwagen - 1:35

- Tamiya BT-7 light tank- 1:35 *FINISHED!!!*

Deafpanzer - Tamyia Pz.IV - 1:35 *FINISHED!!!*

DoogsATX - Zvezda Lavochkin LA-5 - 1:48 - *FINISHED!!!*

- ICM LaGG 3 - 1:48

- Eduard Yak-3 - 1:48 - *FINISHED!!!*

- Dragon Pz. IV ausf. G - 1:35

- Trumpeter German "beute" KV-2 754(r) - 1:35

Hinksy - Dragon stuGIV Early - 1:35

Hunhunter - TBA

Jmabx - Trumpeter Mig 3 - 1:48

Jmart - Tamyia T34/76 1942 and StuGIV - 1:35

JohanT -Dragon Pz.IV Ausf.E - 1:35

Julez72 - Academy Messerschmitt Bf109K-4 - 1:48

KAYSEE88 - DML figure set  "Ostfront Winter Combatants" - 1:35

Killjoy - Italeri Elefant - 1:35

Lundergaard - Dragon T34/76 Factory 112 Krasone Sormovo - 1:35 *Finished!*

M1 A1 A2 Tanker - Tamiya StuG III Ausf. B - 1:35

Maxfax - Dragon StuGII Ausf. G - 1:35 *Finished!*

Dragon SU-100 - 1:35 *Finished!*

Njal Thorgeirsson - AFV Nebelkraftwagen (Sd. Kfz. 11/4) with Lionroar Nebelwerfer - 1:35

Onge - Zvezda Sdkfz. 251/3 Communications vehicle - 1:35

Ozzman - Zvezda T34/76 - 1:35 *Finished!!*

- Arkmodel Flammpanzer II - 1:35 *Finished!!*

-  Dragon King Tiger (porsche turret) - 1:35

- Fujimi "Dora" Big caliber railway artillery gun - 1:144 *Finished!!!*

- Tamyia TigerI ausf.E late - 1:35 *FINISHED!!!*

Satch_ip - DML/Dragon StuG III Ausf. F - 1:35

Skaggs - Tamiya T34/76 "chTZ" model '43 - 1:35 *Finished!!*

Some assembly required - DML Panther Ausf. D - 1:35

Stikpusher - AMT/Ertl Henschel Hs-129 - 1:48

Sub revolution - Tamyia T-34/ 76 1943 - 1:35

Taxtp - Tamyia Panther Ausf.G - 1:35

Thunderbolt379 - Hasegawa BF109-F2 " Molders" - 1:48

- Dragon StuG III Ausf. F/8 - 1:35

TREYZX10R   - Tamyia Fieseler Fi156  - 1:48 *FINISHED!!!*

- Amtech Henschel HS 123-A1 w. resin parts- 1:48 *FINISHED!!!*

Vetteman42 - ICM Yak7 - 1:48 *FINISHED!!!*

Kermit - Eduard I-16 - 1/48  *FINISHED!!!*

Italeri IL2m3 sturmovik - 1/48 *FINISHED!!!"

Trumpeter KV2 - 1:35 *FINISHED!!!*

Dragon T34/76 - 1:35 *MIA*

Tamyia T34/76 1943 - 1:35 *FINISHED!!!*

Revell Heinkel He 111-H6 - 1:72

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BADGE:

(feel free to send in some ideas if you have em. Please host it yourselves gents)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by Hinksy on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:46 AM

Hey Rich,

I've just replied to your post on the Armour page. I think it's about time I participated in a GB and is the Eastern Front is my main theatre of interest this is ideal.

I've probably got the perfect kit, just need to check some info on it.

If not I'll pick up a nice T-34 on September pay day as I am still to build anything Russian.

Keep us posted!

ATVB

Ben Big Smile

On the Bench - Dragon Pz. IV Ausf. G (L.A.H.) Yes

Your image is loading...

Posted by Njal Thorgeirsson on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:02 PM

AWESOME! I've bought just the kits for such a GB, and the timing is perfect!!!

I'll be building the following [1/35 scale] kit(s):

1)--- AFV Club Nebelkraftwagen (Sd.Kfz. 11/4).

2)--- LionRoar 15 cm Nebelwerfer 41 (it will be towed behind the Nebelkraftwagen).

With the following accessories:

- AM tracks for the Nebelkraftwagen

- Eduard general P.E. set for the Nebelkraftwagen

- Verlinden Nebelwerfer rockets

And I assume that we can always do more than just one build for such a GB as this, so IF I HAVE TIME I'll also buils the Trumpeter Karl-Geraet (the "Thor" vehicle in particular [not the "Karl"]) with Friulmodel tracks, and TWO of the Trumpeter Pz.kpfw. IV ausf. F munitionsschlepper fahrgestell vehicles that would have accompanied "Thor". Don't sighn me up for these three vehicles until I verify that I will have time to build them, and also please tell me if it's acceptable to do two builds for this GB.

FACEBOOK: Ryan Olson Thorgeirsson for pics of all my builds.

"There are two kinds of people in this world; those who put fries/chips on their sandwiches, and those who don't enjoy life."

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Posted by vetteman42 on Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:22 AM

Kermit this one sounds juicy to me Eats I am way over booked for group builds this year but am very interested in this one for next year. I have another MiG-3 and a Yak-7 both ICM kits. Could be a tank in there somewhere too. So if its ok with you Sir I would like to join up and let you know what I will build later ?

Eats

Randy So many to build.......So little time

Posted by Killjoy on Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:44 AM

Please put me down for Italeri's Elefant 1/35.

Chris

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posted by Lundergaard on Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:44 PM

I'm gonna do this!  And with only my 3rd tank build ever...

Put me down for 1:35 Dragon T-34/76 No.112 Factory Krasone Sormovo

Now i have a reason to start this beast.

Cheers!

andy

Ostfront GB
Posted by kermit on Friday, August 13, 2010 11:00 AM

Ok boys,

All of you have been added to the rollcall. Welcome to everyone and have funYesBig Smile

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by Bish on Friday, August 13, 2010 4:58 PM

I am up for this one, fits in well with my build plan. I won't start until late in the build, probably end of May, after i have done the build for my own GB. Stick me down for a 1/35th Dragon 251/6 Ausf C.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by kermit on Friday, August 13, 2010 9:44 PM

Bish,

Great to have you sir! I already put you on the list!Big Smile

Lots of armor sofar.

Richard

Posted by Bish on Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:24 AM

Well i think i can help address the balance. My next build after the 251 is a 1/72nd Academy Ju-87G-1. So stick me down for that as well, i should be able to do both within the time frame.

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:58 AM

You're on the board BishWink. Have you done more 1:72 stuff from Academy? I built their P40M/N once and was quite impressed with the quality... Usually go for 1:48 though.

Richard

Posted by Bish on Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:05 AM

I have a few more in the stash, the Ju-87G-2 and Fw-190D-9,  plus 3 B-17's but haven't built any yet, the G-1 will be my first. For aircraft i stick to 1/72nd as thats what i have always done, and as i build dioramas, 72nd suits me for space and dio accessories. For the G-1 i will be adding a full Aires resin set which includes the engine, so will be a nice challenge for me.

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 14, 2010 8:43 AM

Sounds like you will have fun with your stukaWink

On a more personal note... By the time you are starting on it i wouldn't mind a pic or two extra on working with resin. It intrigues me but never took the step of buying any aftermarket resin.... Hope it's more fun/ easy than PE. I thoroughly dislike the fiddling and gluing my fingers with CA in the processSmile

Richard

Posted by Bish on Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:37 AM

I will make a note to get extra pics of the resin parts. I have fitted resin cockpits in the past, all Aires. The only problems i have had so far is having to thin the kit fuselage to get a fit. I am not sure about more fun/easy, its definatly messy. Cutting off the excess and sanding the resin leaves alot of fine resin dust. Some of the newer Aires resin sets come in a grey resin that feels more like plastic, but i haven't used one of these yet. I will keep you posted.

Posted by deafpanzer on Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:04 AM

What the heck!  Count me in.  Promised myself no more GB for a while because I have already committed to two GBs for rest of this year but I figure your GB is set for a year so I am jumping the ship.  I will decide what I will build... more likely I will go for an old Tamiya kit from 1975... Panzer IV Ausf H with PE sets, an aluminum barrel, & MK tracks, etc.  I might for for this camo scenario I found on Wikipedia as it was used for the eastern front 1944 if the fact is correct.

Andy

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:14 AM

Your'e on the list buddy!Yes For your convenience i have not entered the Tamiya kit as a final choice so you can take the time and confirm at your discretionWink Glad to have you aboard sailor!

That makes ten participants already and the armor running rampant! Kinda knew it would but you aircraft guys can't let that ruin your day now can it?? LOL. Joke,.... anything is welcome my friends. I am very pleased to see my little idea for a group really taking off here (no pun intendedClown).

Richard

Posted by vetteman42 on Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:07 AM

All these tanks >>>>> hummm maybe a Tank Buster is in order Devil Say a P-51A or B ?? Hummm were they even involved on the eastern front ?

Cool idea Richard.

Posted by DoogsATX on Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:07 AM

My queue's pretty backed up at the moment. Dauntless on the bench. Two Wildcats for the NMF GB, a P-51D and probably a B for the 8th AAF GB, and an Eduard Hellcat waiting in the wings.

But seeing as this GB is running for a year, what the hey, I'm in. May take me a while to ramp up, though.

Think I'll build some sort of Russian aircraft. Not sure which yet - but I've never built a Russian WWII anything, so it'll be a new experience no matter what!

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:51 AM

Randy,

I am afraid that, as far as my knowledge goes, P51's were not part of the lend lease act. You could instead try a P39, 40, 47, buffalo, spit or hurri.... Dakota's and B25's would apply to.

However, if everybody agrees on it i would consider allowing red star "what ifs"Smile. Im just having a very hard time saying no in this...

Richard

EDIT: Was too fast in concluding my post...

Doog, youre in buddy!Big Smile Your name is on the list too.

Posted by Bish on Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:15 PM

I think your right about the P-51's, i am not aware of them being used by the Russians. But a couple more tankbusters won't go amiss to keep my Stuka company.

Posted by vetteman42 on Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:39 PM

Well I guess we cant slip one by our fearless leader then Devil

Would be a good excuse to build another Stuka  as my first one didnt come out so good. Was my first build when I came back to the hobby and has loads of bad seems and the canopy, well it doesnt look very good.

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:13 PM

Nono buddy, you can build anything you want as long as you slap some red stars on them lol. It's very easy to include a what if section, no big deal to me really.  As long as everyone has fun i'm a happy froggieWink

Richard

Posted by DoogsATX on Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:30 PM

Had the chance to do a little looking today, and I'm seriously considering the Zvezda 1/48 Lavochkin La-5. Maybe pairing it with AML's decals if I can track them down. Lots of interesting variations to be had...

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

Posted by bufflehead on Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:48 PM

Hey Kermit, would Russian and German armor from 1941, Operation Barbarossa, be considered part of the Ostrfont?  I've become very interested in early WWII armor and want to build either a Soviet T-26 or BT-5 or German Pz. 35(t) or Pz. 38(t)....building for this GB would be great if allowed!

Ernest

Last Armor Build - 1/35 Dragon M-26A1, 1/35 Emhar Mk.IV Female

Last Aircraft Builds - Hobby Boss 1/72 F4F Wildcat & FW-190A8

Posted by DoogsATX on Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:43 PM

Scratch that. I WILL be building the Zvezda 1/48 La-5. Just placed the order through Sprue Brothers, and I'm going to have my LHS run down those AML decals for me. Only place they're showing up in stock online is Squadron, and I can't stand dealing with Squadron's website.

I also think I'm going to kick this baby up in the build order so I don't get burned out on Tamiyastangs. And that poor, poor Eduard Hellcat. Third kit I bought, and it keeps getting pushed back...

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:34 PM

Bufflehead,

Ofcourse that would be great, operation barbarossa stuff is very applicableWink. So knock yourself out i'd say!

DoogsATX,

Great choice! Good plane too as far as i can tell from playing flightsims. I especially like the last plane on the AML sheet you show. The grey over grey camo's are really cool too.

Usually when i am looking for possibilities in finishes i use this website:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/336/1/0#26

It contains thousands of profile pictures and just about every plane outthere, old and new.

Richard

Posted by vetteman42 on Sunday, August 15, 2010 1:36 AM

Kermit you know me I just had to stir the pot a bit so to speak Devil Actually I am leaning towards the Yak-7A although I am not sure it would fit in here. And maybe a tank if I have time.

Again Richard another great idea for a build group Toast

Posted by kermit on Sunday, August 15, 2010 1:46 AM

although I am not sure it would fit in here

Hmmm....Yak 7...yak 7....

WW2.....russian.....flown over russia against germans.....red stars too.....Hmm

YUP, it appliesBig SmileYes.

Really interested in those ICM's...They offer lots of great russian stuff.

Richard

Posted by vetteman42 on Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:11 AM

Richard the ICM kits are nice, full of fiddly detail though.I have been enjoying my 1/48 MiG-3 from ICM. The only trouble I have found with the kit is a lack locating pins, and rather vague instructions. The Yak looks to be the same. Anyway the kit is so bad I went and got my mitts on another MiG-3, I want to build the NMF nose version. The one on the bench now is a redwing winter camo.

Yup so can you put me down for the 1/48 ICM Yak-7A ?

PS I did get the chrome paint for the show tank. Now to find some gold paint to go along with it. Stick out tongue

Posted by deafpanzer on Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:12 AM

I am glad Bufflehead brought this up... Operation Barbarossa and Ostrfront.  I wasn't sure what Ostfront meant... tell you the truth I am still learning!  Knowing Operation Barbarossa is the invasion of Russia so I googled on the word Ostrfront and there wasn't many results.  All I found is that it means 'Eastern Front' so I guess it applies to every battles east of Germany including in Poland just the Russian? 

Andy

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.