SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

The Hornet's Nest GB 10/10-10/11

483 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
The Hornet's Nest GB 10/10-10/11
Posted by Daywalker on Monday, August 16, 2010 12:10 AM

Welcome to the Hornet's Nest!  This group build is starting up September 19th, just a little over six weeks away!  It will run through October 31st, 2011.  This GB is open to anyone interested in building an F/A-18 Hornet, and with all of the possibilities in scales, color schemes, and variants- I think we will see many stunning models!  Everything from the newest Trumpeter Super Hornets, to the tiny 1/144 Dragon birds is allowed.

Must have fun!  This is the most important thing to remember here.

Open to anyone interested, all skill levels and late entries welcome

Any scale, out of the box or as much aftermarket as you want

Previously started builds welcome

Post as many work in progress photos as you want

Any variant, including the F/A-18A, F/A-18B, F/A-18C, F/A-18D, F/A-18E, F/A-18F, and F/A-18G

Operators include the US Navy and Marines, Australia, Canada, Finland, Kuwait, Malaysia, Spain, and Switzerland.

With colorful CAG jets, gray line jets, USN Aggressor squadrons, USN Blue Angels, special squadron markings as well as a host of export schemes, the possibilities are endless!

Here is a link to Wikipedia's entry on the Hornet.  I will do some research to see if I can find some good Hornet reference sites.  If you know of any, let me know and I would be happy to post them here.

I will host the badges for the duration of the group build, please save them and host them yourself if you would like to keep them.  Feel free to grab one now and add it to your signature!

Frank 

Posted by Daywalker on Monday, August 16, 2010 12:11 AM

The roster

1. Daywalker- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet

2. Julez72- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18C Hornet

3. sidure- Revell 1/48 F/A-18E Super Hornet FINISHED!  Pics on page 18

4. arki30- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18C Hornet

5. macattack80- Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18F Super Hornet

6. STFD637- Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18A Hornet

7. simpilot34- Academy 1/72 F/A-18C Hornet

8. raptordriver- Revell 1/48 F/A-18C Hornet

9. Boba Fett- Dragon 1/144 F/A-18F Super Hornet

10. TANGO1- Revell 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet

11. twisties- Hobby Boss 1/48 F/A-18A Hornet

12. lewbud

13. Marine Sniper- Revell 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet

14. firesmacker- Academy 1/32 F/A-18C Hornet FINISHED!  Pics on page 18

15. dupes- Hobby Boss 1/72 F/A-18A Hornet

16. acmodeler01- Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18A Hornet FINISHED!  Pics on page 15

17. Archangel Shooter- Hobby Boss 1/48 F/A-18D Hornet

18. FantasEF- Revell 1/48 F/A-18A Hornet

19. Christian Theodotou- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet FINISHED!  Pics on page 30

20. Fly-n-hi- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18C Hornet

21. Jarhead93- Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18D Hornet FINISHED!  Pics on page 31

Frank 

Posted by Daywalker on Monday, August 16, 2010 12:11 AM

Saved for future use...

Frank 

Posted by Julez72 on Monday, August 16, 2010 2:29 AM

OK given that the Hornet is the mainstay of the RAAF i kinda have to join....Sigh put this overcommited modeler down for an FA 18 in RAAF markings....

BTW whats the best and easiest/quickest Hornet model in 1/48????

Posted by sidure on Monday, August 16, 2010 11:08 AM

Sign me up Frank. I happen to have a couple in my stash. I think I will be doing a Revell 1/48 and will have to shop around for some colourful USMC markings

Steve

Posted by arki30 on Monday, August 16, 2010 7:25 PM

Frank, I'm definitely in for this.  Love the Hornet, and I have a 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C I've been waiting to build for awhile.

Julez72

BTW whats the best and easiest/quickest Hornet model in 1/48????

My 2 cents, the Revell -E and -F are inexpensive decent kits.  The Hasegawa Hornets are the best detailed, and you pay for it.  If you want easy(ier), I'd go with Revell.

Building Now:

1/48 Academy Bf-109G6 - 100%

1/48 Tamiya F4U-1A - 5%

Upcoming:

1/48 Revell F-14D

Posted by Daywalker on Monday, August 16, 2010 7:42 PM

Great to have you aboard guys!  I added your names to the roster, just let me know which kits you plan to build when you are ready and I'll update the list.

Julez72

OK given that the Hornet is the mainstay of the RAAF i kinda have to join....Sigh put this overcommited modeler down for an FA 18 in RAAF markings....

You got it!  Overcommited?  I can certainly feel your pain.

arki- I thought of you last night, while perusing the web for a photo for the GB badge.  Your avatar popped up on a "Hornet" search!

Frank 

Posted by simpilot34 on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:32 AM

I am unable to commit to this GB but will INDEED enjoy watching such great talent being unleashed on the 'Bugs'!!!!! I have just committed to the Mighty 8th GB because I really want to do my 'Memphis Belle' in 1/72. Can't wait to see the pics of everyones builds!!!!

Cheers, Lt. Cmdr. Richie "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving the peace."-George Washington
Posted by Daywalker on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:27 AM

Richie- I can understand that, but thanks for stopping in!  Perhaps we can twist your arm into one later. Whistling

Frank 

Posted by TANGO 1 on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:28 PM

Mmmmmm................tempting! PirateToast

Regards, Darren. C.A.G. FAA/USNFAW GB
Posted by macattack80 on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:36 PM

Hmmmmm.....Ok.  I thought long enough.  I would like to play too!  I have a couple Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18F's laying in the pile.

Kevin

[

Posted by Daywalker on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:26 PM

Darren- Howdy mate!  Hope to see you here later in the landing pattern.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kevin- Welcome aboard!  I added you and your kit to the roster.

Frank 

Posted by sidure on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:07 PM

Hey Frank, my entry will be the Revell F/A18-E Super Hornet. When we start I will narrow down the squadron as I intend to get some AM decals

Steve

Posted by TANGO 1 on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:10 AM

I like the look of this one............................

VFA-87 "War Party"

I may come and play when the bench gets cleared in the near future as I have been wanting to play with a Hornet for a while now.  PirateToast

Posted by Daywalker on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:56 AM

Like that one Darren!  I too have been wanting to build a Hornet for some time.  Now, I am trying to decide between these two options:

Frank 

Posted by simpilot34 on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:36 AM

You guys are starting to annoy me with pics so much I am just going to have to do something about it!!!!!!!!Bang Head Wonder if I can find a cheap 1/72 HobbyBoss..........Clown hehe j/k guys you know that....about being annoyed anyway.Whistling Guys I have some up close and personal(detail) shots of a super bug that I will post later. Landing gear bays and struts, folded wings, etc. I ventured over to the aircraft shelter next to our hangar after the last airshow we had and went sick!!!! There was nobody around!!!!Eats

Cheers, Lt. Cmdr. Richie "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving the peace."-George Washington
Posted by Daywalker on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:46 PM

Hehehe... it's working! Angel

I'll be looking forward to those pics Richie!  Hope you find a kit, we'd love to have you here! 

OK fellas, I took these at a local airshow Memorial Day Weekend, enjoy!

Frank 

Posted by razordws on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:00 PM

Well Frankie, how did I know it was going to be a modern gass passer GB this time around.  Though I was hoping for a Me 163 or a He 162.  Sad

Not sure if I'm going to get in on this one yet.  It has a long window of opportunity though so I may jump in later.  I seem to remember that the LHS has some cheap revell kits with Canadian markings but I'd prefer to do another Hasegawa kit if I can get my mitts on one.

Anyhoo... thought I'd share some pics of the Hornet that I took just this last weekend at the Abbotsford airshow.  Some of you may have heard that the Canadian demonstration Hornet crashed a couple of weeks ago (pilot is okay) but there were plenty of others there.  My camera is not so nice as Franky's so they are a bit grainy as I was at the limits of it's zoom.

US Super Hornet 360

Pair of CAF F/A 18A

Super Hornet and a Bearcat

This is an F-15 but I just had to add it as it is a cool pic.  The CAF Hornets did a similar bomb run but my trigger finger wasn't so lucky on those runs.

Dave

Posted by Daywalker on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:15 PM

Great stuff Dave, thanks for sharing it here!

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you to enter, but I will not hold it against you if you do not.  Though if you don't, we all know who's fault it is! Zip it!

Frank 

Posted by Julez72 on Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:25 AM

I have decided on my build, something like this...

Posted by Daywalker on Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:48 AM

Julez72

I have decided on my build, something like this...

http://fighterworld.com.au/fwjs/images/McDonnell%20Douglas%20FA-18%20Hornet/RAAF_3A21_3b.jpg

Is that an RAAF F/A-18E?  I didn't know they flew any single-seaters.

Frank 

Posted by raptordriver on Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:14 AM

No way! This has got to be a joke! Frank would never build anything that wasn't from WWII! Alright jokes up, what GB are you really planning?

Andrew

Posted by raptordriver on Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Dang! I still can't believe it!

Alright sign me up for a 1/48 Revell F-18C "chippie ho"

and a 1/48 Revell F-18F Super Hornet.

Andrew

Posted by Daywalker on Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:01 PM

raptordriver

No way! This has got to be a joke! Frank would never build anything that wasn't from WWII! Alright jokes up, what GB are you really planning?

LOL- weird, isn't it?  Glad to see you here Andrew, welcome aboard!  I am looking forward to seeing your take on the Hornet.  Believe it or not, I have TWO modern aircraft on the bench right now!

Frank 

Posted by simpilot34 on Friday, August 20, 2010 4:48 AM

FRANK!!!!!!!! YOU.....you......sigh........you're a great guy and couldn't resist any longer. I went and bought the Academy 1/72 F/A-18C today on the way home from work. Here's proof!

Was looking at the Tamiya 1/72 Bug as well, but had reservations about it because it was less than $21 ozzie dollars. I also saw the Italeri 1/72 Bug and my suspicions were confirmed, they had the exact same markings. I say this because I bought a 'Tamiya' 1/72 Mc.202. On inspecting it I saw on the instructions that it said plain as day that it was an Italeri kit. Also when I looked at the pics of the Tamiya kit, the nose profile to me just didn't look right. I think I did good by Academy.

Posted by TANGO 1 on Friday, August 20, 2010 5:15 AM

Daywalker

Like that one Darren!  I too have been wanting to build a Hornet for some time.  Now, I am trying to decide between these two options:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/7/7/0967772.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/1/8/0723818.jpg

Frank,

it has got to be The Bounty Hunters all the way. It would be bloody rude not to old chap. Whistling

FLY NAVY!

Posted by Julez72 on Friday, August 20, 2010 7:41 PM

Sim, Sweet looking forward to seein some progress on your end...I've decided on a RAAF 75sqd Hornet from the eighties, with the top hat on the tails...

Frank, i'm not that well versed on modern jets but i'm pretty sure that most RAAF Bugs are single seaters except for the Super Bugs, i think they are twins...

Posted by raptordriver on Friday, August 20, 2010 10:13 PM

Does anyone know the Super Hornets (F-18E) top speed?

I have been looking online and sources say 1100 MPH. That can't be true is it? Why would it downgrade from the "C" version?

Andrew

Posted by Julez72 on Friday, August 20, 2010 10:40 PM

Finally found a pic of the bird i want to do...Looks like the Hasegawa kit will be the one for me..

Posted by arki30 on Friday, August 20, 2010 11:13 PM

raptordriver

Does anyone know the Super Hornets (F-18E) top speed?

I have been looking online and sources say 1100 MPH. That can't be true is it? Why would it downgrade from the "C" version?

I'm not sure the E variant is in fact slower than the C, but we'd be talking semantics if it was.  Keep in the mind the legacy Hornets had big issues for the Navy, primarily short range and an unimpressive load capability (particularly with payload bring back).

The F/A-18E is something like 25% larger, able to carry more fuel, more avionics and heavier payloads.  The engines have been uprated, but I suspect the extra thrust is soaked up by the bigger airframe vs. increased speed.

Bottom line, it still goes faster than the speed of sound! Big Smile

Building Now:

1/48 Academy Bf-109G6 - 100%

1/48 Tamiya F4U-1A - 5%

Upcoming:

1/48 Revell F-14D

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.