SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

#6 OLD Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf H WIP- COMPLETED!

144 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
#6 OLD Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf H WIP- COMPLETED!
Posted by deafpanzer on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:05 PM

Guys- In case you were wondering what I have been doing.  I signed for Ostfront "Eastern Front" GB and I have chosen this old Tamiya kit Panzer IV Ausf H.  Hard to believe this kit came out in 1975 when I was only five years old.  What the heck y'all now know my real age now! Big Smile  

I got this few years ago when I first returned to the hobby... won a bidding war on 20+ kits stash via evilBay for only $125 so it makes this kit only $6.25. Big Smile  Hope it makes our friend Hans happy...

After finishing my fifth build Italeri M24 Chaffee, I had to build another old kit just for fun... I have to say this kit is still pretty good being 35+ years old...

Locating aftermarket sets wasn't easy for this old kit... I managed to find an aluminum barrel from Armorscale, PE skirts from Royal Model and MK tracks to make it better if possible.

The building part was a breeze except for the skirts holders part...

It wasn't easy keeping the skirts even and straight but after looking at my reference books they are never that way...

Tracks and wheels part... not exactly my favorite...

You can see the huge improvement between the rubber band and MK tracks especially the holes...

Like stated in the MK instructions, adjustment is required for older Tamiya kit... here's why:

Wheel teeth were cut and filed... it helped!

Here's the part I actually enjoyed the most... applying Zimmerit!  Earlier I posted here asking for help about aftermarket Zimm set for this old kit but apparently it wasn't available.  Then some of you jerks told me since I got the kit for few dollars I should try the Zimm applying procedure since I have nothing to loose.  I am only kidding... I am so glad you pushed me to try this!  Beer

I went to an auto shop to get 3M Blue Acryl Glazing Putty but unfortunately it was no longer in production and the clerk recommended this white putty from 3M.  $17 for a HUGE tube of putty...

My first attempt using very fine flathead screwdriver didn't work out...

Not realizing I already had Tamiya Zimm set in my stash, a guy suggested to try so I went for it.  What a huge improvement...

Peeling Zimm just like shown in the picture...

Work on the muffler... to create rough texture.  I used Mr Surfacer 500...

Primer job...

I applied a base coat of Dunky over the weekend and I will post more pictures soon.  Comments are always welcome... thanks for looking! 

Andy

Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:12 PM

Superb work...the zimm looks especially nice...Mk IV's had very shallow zimm and you really did it nicely...

I love your Tamiya Mk IV H w/ aluminum barrel, PE sideskirts, MK tracks and zimm and want to take it out on a date...

Posted by BaBill212 on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:16 PM

Andy,,  absolutely AWESOME

Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by deafpanzer on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:40 PM

Manny-  Take my girl out for a date?  Yes, only if you send me one of your beautiful female figures... thanks for the comment. Beer

BaBill- Thanks for the compliment... more to come! Enjoy the golf tourney... FORE!

Andy

Posted by tigerman on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:59 PM

Gee Andy, after you added all that AM, you might as well just bought yourself the Dragon H with zimmerit. LOL

Seriously, that is some very sweet work on the zimmerit.

I like the idea of just one putty, not something you have to mix.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/wing_nut_5o/PANZERJAGERGB.jpg

Eric 

Posted by deafpanzer on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:09 PM

LOL!  Thanks Eric!  Yeah, I have to agree... I think the barrel was $16, skirts were $20 and MK tracks were $35.  What the heck... I am having fun with this old kit. 

I went ahead and brought this kit for only $25 thru Dragon Facebook promotion.  I am sure this kit doesn't require any of AM except for Zimm.  I believe this variant still requires Zimm...

I am not sure if I want to use 3M White putty again... its drying time was too short within a minute or so unlike those 3M Blue putty I have been hearing about its longer drying period.  I haven't tried Milliput so I have to try it next time.  For sure it is still better than Squardon or Tamiya putty...

Andy

Posted by psstoff995's lbro on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:13 PM

Nice work! Can't wait to see her with a nice coat of camo paint.

Good looking zimm too, that's one thing I'll never attempt!

-Will young modeler Test fit master
Posted by Jester75 on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:16 PM

Nice!!Yes

Eric

Posted by tigerman on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:17 PM

Nice score on the Pz IV J. You must have a passion for road-wheels. haha

What did the putty clean up with? Water?

Eric 

Posted by BaBill212 on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:40 PM

Thanks Andy,,   will do..........

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by ogrejohn on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:02 PM

Dang it Andy! Now you got me wanting to try to do some zimm! You sure did a great job on it and I can't wait to see the paint work.

Posted by deafpanzer on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:11 PM

Psstoff- Thanks!  I was like that but after few attempts it wasn't that hard and fun afterward.  You might want to try that on an old kit like mine. LOL

Eric #1- Thanks for dropping by! 

Eric #2- Passion for wheels?  Nah, just another good deal because it comes with four extra wheels. Stick out tongue  Yes I used water to clean but it wasn't helpful.  At the end I used lacquer thinner to clean my tools real good. 

Babill- Great picture!!!

John- Just come over with a case of Beer and I will show you how to do it.  You are only an hour and half away...  

Taking my boys to see the movie Captain America now... open captioned movie! 

Andy

Posted by BaBill212 on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:24 PM

I just saw a new trailer for the movie.....  let me / us know what you think

Have fun

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by deafpanzer on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:01 PM

BaBill- Captain America was AWESOME!  One of best Marvel movies so far... maybe I am little biased because it happened during WWII.  My boys liked it better than Spider-man which surprised me. 

Guys- Here's more pictures of my Panzer IV.  I am going for this camo scheme... it was an unanimous vote in the GB as they liked this scheme too.  I don't think I have seen anybody do this scheme here before?

Below was my second choice... maybe next time... maybe for my Ausf J.  Stick out tongue

Pre-shading and rubber on wheels job...

It looks like I owe wBill another Beer because I used his Dunky formula once again 50/50 MM Dunky and MM Light Grey... I still use Model Master enamel paint for armors only. 

Love those circle templates... painting wheels aren't that bad unless they don't fit the template fully.  This time it was a perfect fit!  

That's all folks... thanks again for looking!

Andy

Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:11 PM

That scheme you picked sepicts a late war J and doesn't have zimm----maybe something to think about...the scheme is definately late-war...

Posted by deafpanzer on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:37 PM

Manny- Boy, you are correct.  I checked my reference book again where I found the drawing of camo scheme.  It was used in 1945 on an Ausf H and it was not even used in the Eastern Front but in Germany.  Here's more information...

I will use this camo scheme on my Ausf J in the future.  So I guess I will go with the second choice.  I checked again to make sure and it was used by 12th Panzer Division deployed to the Eastern Front in 1943. 

Thank you Manny for the catch! Drinks

Andy

Posted by spacepacker on Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:41 AM

http://panzerivtheworkhorse.devhub.com/.

I'm building the Academy version and whilst I don't have much in the way of reference other than the box art, I am looking at the above site for help.

Very good for cammo'.

I hope mine turns out as good as yours, great build!!!...cheers....Kenny

Posted by Tojo72 on Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:45 AM

that is really coming along great Andy,looking foward to the rest.

Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:37 AM

This is my old Tamiya J done in a Normandy scheme as part of Panzer Lehr---a well documented vehicle...

Posted by the doog on Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:58 AM

Andy,

I read where someone said that you coulda just got the DML PzIV w/zimm, but I'm riding co-pilot with your thinking on this project. I woulda done the same thing! I know what it's like to enjoy the challenge and to revel in a project that you have created out of personal initiative rather than pre-formed plastic--not that there's anything wrong with that in the end!

In other words, carry on; great job here!

I built this same model over a decade ago, and did the same thing with the zimm, but used Squadron White putty with the same Tamiya applicators. I think they work great. Mine looks a lot like yours. SmileSmileSmile

Posted by the doog on Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:58 AM

Andy,

I read where someone said that you coulda just got the DML PzIV w/zimm, but I'm riding co-pilot with your thinking on this project. I woulda done the same thing! I know what it's like to enjoy the challenge and to revel in a project that you have created out of personal initiative rather than pre-formed plastic--not that there's anything wrong with that in the end!

In other words, carry on; great job here!

I built this same model over a decade ago, and did the same thing with the zimm, but used Squadron White putty with the same Tamiya applicators. I think they work great. Mine looks a lot like yours. SmileSmileSmile

Posted by RBaer on Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:12 AM

Andy, zim looks great! I'm pretty sure I'll try something else next time I do zim, rather than the Milliput I used last time. It was a bear to get thin enough, and I can still see thick spots......

I have to say, the fun of building an old kit is there for me too, whether it be from re-visiting something I did in high school (age!) or something I wasn't interested in back then. I see it as a real modeling challenge, and it can be cost effective too, especially when you look at the cost of an old diamond-in-the-rough vs. a new kit, even adding in a few AM parts.

Apprentice rivet counter.

Posted by shoot&scoot on Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:23 AM

Great build and fantastic result for the zim!  Only thing I noticed and maybe it's just the camera angle, but the muzzle brake looks like it's cocked a little bit.  Maybe it's just my eyes going bad.  Otherwise, great work all around.

Pat.

Posted by deafpanzer on Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:57 AM

Kenny- THANK YOU for the great link... I see couple of camo schemes I really like.  I will look thru it again later tonight.  I am glad you shared because I found Pz III site from there that we can share for my ongoing Panzer III GB. 

Anthony- I am sure you know why I am anxious to have it finished... so I can join you guys at Pz III GB!  Thanks for stopping by.

Manny- Love your Ausf J!  I want to take it out for one night stand... hope you don't mind?  Nice work on the Zimm part too. Yes  Bet there is a topless lady hiding behind the destroyed building... Whistling

Doog- Thanks for dropping by!  Bet you love the heat and humidity in NC... I had to put up with it for 8 years before returning to Indiana. Big Smile  Sometimes it can be fun building older kits.  I had to give this kit a chance after building my Chaffee recently.  I am planning to build an Imperial Dragon kit next...

I am glad you liked... more to come! 

Rbaer- Glad you liked the Zimm... actually I was planning to try Milliput for my future build but now I am not too sure.  Tongue Tied  Agree with you about re-visiting... I built this tank when I was maybe 14 or 15 years old back in the 80's. 

Black tracks, pinkish tan, and figures without eyes?  Jeez, let's hope I am doing better this time... Embarrassed

Pat- Crap!  I think you are correct about the cocked muzzle brake.  I had it fixed earlier and now it is cocked again.  I am afraid it got loosened again so I will look into it when I have the chance.  Thanks for the catch! Beer

Andy

Posted by Gamera on Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:09 PM

Hey Andy, great job so far! Always kinda liked the looks of the IV I think it had more 'character' than the Tigers. Love the pre-shading and the zimmerit and skirts look great. Have to say though the idea of sanding down the drive sprockets to fit the aftermarket threads would give me the willies though.

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

Posted by Hercmech on Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:15 PM

Andy,

Looking great, I love the Zimm you put on. I also like the old kit you showed and the way it compares with your new work. I found a stash of built kits I did back when I was in my young teens and I thought they looked great then, but compared to now there really is no comparison and my "now" skills are not even in the same legue as yours. Funn to see how we improve.

Again thanks for showing this kit and the tips on the Zimm!

Posted by tigerman on Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:51 PM

Manstein's revenge

This is my old Tamiya J done in a Normandy scheme as part of Panzer Lehr---a well documented vehicle...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/dblvisions2001/Dioramas/Dio004-2.jpghttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/dblvisions2001/Dioramas/Dio014.jpghttp://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/dblvisions2001/Dioramas/Dio022.jpg

Needs more rust..........

That being said, nice little dio Herr Field Marshall.

Eric 

Posted by wbill76 on Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:51 PM

Andy, don't know how this one slipped by me but really like what you've done with it zim and all! Yes

As for the zim question on the DML J kit, it represents an Aug-Sept '44 production vehicle which is right when they stopped applying zim so you could go either way on it IMHO and be accurate. Wink

Posted by deafpanzer on Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:32 PM

Gamera- I have to agree with you... Panthers has always been my favorite but now I am leaning toward to Panzer IVs.  Thanks for the compliment! Beer

Hercmech- Thought you guys could enjoy going down the memory lane when I posted pictures of my old build.  Wondering how our builds will look like 20 years later... Big Smile

Bill- Glad you liked my work so far.  Gave you the credit for the Dunky formula I used... Beer

Actually I am doing it for Ostfront GB and not everybody goes there so I posted my latest work here yesterday for you Armor guys to share comments & feedback.  I am so glad I did because I had the wrong camo scheme planned until Manny's input so I am in a hunt for different scheme or going for the second choice.  Looks like I owe Manny one of my girlfriends now...

Stay posted guys...

Andy

Posted by BaBill212 on Friday, August 5, 2011 8:41 PM

Hi Andy,,,  thanks for the movie review,,, sounds good,,  Also, the Pz IV also looks good / great...  Thanks for sharing,,  excellent work!

PS,,,,  my partner and I are doing terrible in the tourney...   we both played good yesterday. Today (3 sets of nine),, we did ok in the first 9,,,  a little worse in the second 9,, and totally sukked in the last 9. Dayum !,,,, in the last 7 years we've won our flight (a few times), sweeps, ringer, and in 2008 won the whole damnnn thing (most points).       Since then,, we've been stinking it up pretty bad. If we win both matches tomorrow we may have a chance to come into the money, (so to speak).

I'll hit you up later this week on the GB we discussed..........

Have a good weekend!!!

Enjoy the ride!

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.