SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Falklands/Malvinas War 30th Anniversary GB

1492 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Falklands/Malvinas War 30th Anniversary GB
Posted by Bish on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:45 AM

This is the official thread of the Falklands War GB. The GB will run from the 2nd April 2011 to 14th June 2012. This GB comemorates the Falklands War which ran from 2nd April to 14th June 1982. Eligable for this build is anything that toook part in the war itself, from either sidem or anything used to ensure the security of the Islands in the 30 years since.

Any scale, British or Argentinian for the war itself, and British for the period since.

Air, Land or sea

OOB or as much AM as you want.

The GB will be hosted by VanceCrozier and myself. Vance will be heading up the participants list and is currently working on the badge.

The link below containes a full list of what can be built, this is still a work in progress.

/forums/t/134666.aspx

The above thread will be kept running for posting any pics of interest to the GB.

GB Extension. By popular consent, the build has been extended until the 31st Dec 2012. New builds can be submitted and begun until the 31st Oct.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by VanceCrozier on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:46 AM

Alright folks, here are the group build badges - one english & one español - feel free to add it to your signature. Larger size can be set up for you as well, I just went with a smaller size as usually seen on peoples signatures:

Builders list..........

• Bish - 1/72nd Matchbox Chinook - complete, page 68
  • VanceCrozier - 1/72 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS.1 complete, page 54

1/72 FMA Pucara from Special Hobby (possibly a 1/72 Super Étandard from Heller...)
  • BigSmitty - Tamiya's 1/48 FRS.1 Sea Harrier
  • CallSignOWL - 1/72 Harrier GR.3 from MPC - complete, page 40
  • MrSquid2U - 1/700th ARA Hercules and HMS Sheffield (with a possible HMS Illustrious)
  • Scorpiomikey - Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR3
  • taxtp - DML 1/700 HMS Sheffield - complete - page 86
  • taxtp - Harrier FRS1, Italeri, 1/72
  • Helo H-34 - 1/72 Italeri HU-5 Wessex - complete - page 87

Helo H-34 - 1/72 Airfix HC-1 Chinook
  • Paul_toz - 1/72nd Matchbox Chinook
  • Stikpusher - 1/48 ESCI Mirage IIIE (modified to IIIEA standard) - complete - page 95
  • el_jere - 1/48 Super Etendard (Heller) - complete, page 58

el_jere - 1/48 Learjet 35 - complete, page 66
  • Azorean - 1/72 Twin Otter - complete, page 50

; Super Étandard diorama
  • bondoman - 1/72 FMA Pucara from Special Hobby - complete, page 57
  • bigua - Lindberg's Avro Vulcan, Grumann s2f tracker, white metal figures
  • Thunderbolt379 (Mike) - Airfix Harrier FRS.1
  • uctrekker - 1/72 Airfix BAe Nimrod
  • Dupes - 1/35 AFV Club FV107 Scimitar
  • darson - 1/72 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS.1
  • USAFSPOOK - 1/72 HAR 3 Sea King; 1/35 Lightweight Land Rover; 1-ton Land Rover FC 101 - maybe more!
  • roger_wilco - 1/72 Matchbox Sea Harrier
  • bsyamato - 1/72 Academy Super Étendard - complete, page 41

Italeri Harrier GR3 - complete, page 56
  • Moober (Michael) - 1/48 Tamiya Sea Harrier FRS.1
  • Sergio Goncalves - two Harriers GR.3, a Sea Harrier, a Skyhawk and one Pucara
  • Casper the Chihuahua - 1/24 Sea Harrier (Airfix!!!) - complete, page 68

Tags: Falklands

On the bench: Airfix 1/72 Wildcat; Airfix 1/72 Vampire T11; Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister

Posted by Bish on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:26 AM

seeing as i already have a kit for this, might as well stick me down. Its a 1/72nd Matchbox, (yes, i said Matchbox) Chinook.

Posted by VanceCrozier on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:32 AM

Matchbox? Classic!

I'm adding my Airfix Sea Harrier, and a "probable" with an FMA Pucara.

On the bench: Airfix 1/72 Wildcat; Airfix 1/72 Vampire T11; Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister

Posted by BigSmitty on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:56 AM

Vance/Bish,

Put me down for Tamiya's 1/48 FRS.1 Sea Harrier.  Just ordered it today, along with an Aires seat.  I heard the kit seat is pretty much poo.

Matt - IPMS #46275

"Build what ya love and love what ya build..."

Build Logs, Rants and Humor

Posted by VanceCrozier on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:03 AM

Gotcha BigSmitty!

Posted by CallSignOWL on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:18 AM

Im in with a 1/72 Harrier GR.3 from MPC

OWL

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by Bish on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:42 PM

Do you know if the one you are building flew from the Hermes or san carlos, or do the markings not say

Posted by VanceCrozier on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:44 PM

Welcome aboard Owl!

Posted by MrSquid2U on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:00 PM

I'll go with 1/700th:

ARA Hercules

HMS Sheffield

(With a possible HMS Illustrious too)

Posted by Bish on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:16 PM

OWL Found this you might be interested in. It is a complete list of all GR.3's that were earmarked for the Falklands. Only 10 took part in the war. Some of those on this list didn't reach the Islands, other did but after the war. 2 were sent to san carlos but it seems they did not carry out any sorties due to weather. You should be able to find the aircraft you are building here.

http://harrier.hyperlinx.cz/FAQ-falklandwar.htm

Posted by VanceCrozier on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:21 PM

Gotcha MrSquid, with the first ships added to the official list.  Just added your Skyhawk Scorpiomikey.

Posted by CallSignOWL on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:50 PM

Bish

OWL Found this you might be interested in. It is a complete list of all GR.3's that were earmarked for the Falklands. Only 10 took part in the war. Some of those on this list didn't reach the Islands, other did but after the war. 2 were sent to san carlos but it seems they did not carry out any sorties due to weather. You should be able to find the aircraft you are building here.

http://harrier.hyperlinx.cz/FAQ-falklandwar.htm

Thanks Bish! I don't have the kit in front of me right now (I'm at the dorms) but once I get back home, I'll be able to verify what plane the kit represents.  Toast

OWL

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by taxtp on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:48 PM

Hi Bish and Vance,

I'm in with the Airfix 1/600 Type 21 please. I'm not sure  which actual ship just yet.

Cheers

Tony

I'm just taking it one GB at a time.

Posted by Bish on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:16 PM

Welcome aboard tax, i take it the kit comes with markings for various options, or is it easy to make your own.

Posted by Helo H-34 on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:48 PM

Hi Bish ,

I'll go with the 1/72 High Planes Falklands Dagger and Italeri's HAS-3 and HU-5 Wessex helicopters .

I ordered two Palva wessex resin cockpits along with resin exhaust and radome for the HAS-3 , I think I read somewhere that the HAS-3 had the anti-submarine equipment removed for the initial deployment of the SAS commando's , I'll have to check again and see if I got that right as I have Cobra Co. wessex cabin interior update set in the stash if I decide to add it .

John .

Posted by taxtp on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:38 PM

Thanks Bish.

The kit that I have only has marking for HMS Amazon, however, I believe that they over painted the numbers prior to deployment to the Falklands, so that is not a concern. The factors influencing my decision are

1. Availability of reference photos

2. Historical significance

3. Modifications required to make a reasonable accurate model. I'm not sure that there were any major differences between the Type 21's, but I think they were retrofitted Exocets from memory. I'll need to check this. The Airfix kit is pretty basic, and is really crying for some detail just to make it look 'busy' enough'.

This is an article of a build of the HMS Alacrity in Falklands fit.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/ships/spahracl.htm

Regards

Tony

I'm just taking it one GB at a time.

Posted by paul_toz on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:32 PM

Stick me down for a Chinook. i was going to do BN, but I presume Bish is going to do that. So I will se if I can do the Argentine one that was captured - I think I have decals somewhere. Might have to do some research to check for differences. I have the matchbox 1/72 kit as well.

Paul

Posted by Bish on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:20 AM

thanks paul, glad i ain't the only one. I have had mine for years, i think someone gave it to me. I have read one review that doesn't have much good to say about it, but as i have it, might as well build it.

When i get back to the UK in may i will try and get some pics of both BN and the one with the section from the captured hook as they appear now.

I am planning on doing BN, but nothing wrong with you doing it as well. I won't get to start mine till around August/Sept.

Posted by VanceCrozier on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:36 AM

Looking like we're getting a good variety so far. The latest count is 6 aircraft, 4 helicopters & 4 ships, including all the "probables". (And I've now got confirmation that my Pucara has shipped, so I should be able to add that as a definite.) There were rumours of a couple of figures but nobody has committed yet...

Posted by VanceCrozier on Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:17 PM

Just letting the group know that the badge is now up, on the first page of the thread.

Posted by Bish on Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:22 PM

WOW, what you do with her. Thanks vance, great badge

Posted by VanceCrozier on Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:24 PM

haha - trade secret, I just made her go away... Whistling

Posted by Helo H-34 on Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:33 PM

Is it okay if I change my mind on which helicopter kits I'm going to build ?

I realize a couple of you guy's are already building Chinooks but I really like the pic Milairjunkie posted of the Chinook lifting the damaged HU-5 Wessex....

I was looking through my [fleet] stash of 1/72 Chinooks and noticed that the Airfix HC-1 has markings for a "Bravo November" No.18 Squadron RAF Falklands Islands June 1982 ;

It looks like the squadron markings in the top pic are 'BU' so I could change the ones that come with the kit .

I'm now thinking of doing a dio like in the pic , I think someone makes those heavy cardboard helicopter flight deck display cards , I'll have a look around Hannants web site .

So it's a Airfix HC-1 Chinook and Italeri HU-5 Wessex I would like to build , Is this okay ???

John .

Posted by Bish on Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:52 AM

Helo, i would love to see that build. If you are not starting your build till after the start of May, i can check out the Matchbox kit and see what the paint scheme is, in case it is different from BU. But i think there are enough pics of BN about.

I have underslung a Lynx before, but never anything like that.Will be great to get another Hook doing an underslung lift. I take it you have a thing for Chinooks.

Posted by Helo H-34 on Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:26 PM

Thank's Bish .

I do like the heavy lift helicopters , that's for sure .

I ordered Osprey's "Air War in the Falklands" from Amazon books last night , so that should make for a nice read and reference source . I'll have to check around the modeling sites on how to do a underslung lift .

John .

Posted by stikpusher on Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:28 PM

Vance/Bish, put me down, but I am not sure as to which kit in my stash that I should build. Perhaps I should ask the participants here. I have an Airfix Harrier GR.3, Airfix Super Entendard, ESCI Mirage IIIE, or Hobbycraft A-4B, all in 1/48. At this time I am leaning toward the Skyhawk or Super Entendard.

Big Smitty, I am building that Sea Harrier now over on the FAA GB. Go have a look for an idea of what you are in for... To say the kit seat is poo is an understatement. The whole cockpit it poo. Just because the box says Tamiya... lets just say the whole kit needs work.

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by VanceCrozier on Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:21 PM

Hey Stikpusher, my vote ( I love voting on other people's stashes!! ) is for the Super Étandard. You know you don't have to pick just one... Wink

Posted by stikpusher on Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:26 PM

OK, one for the Super Entendard from Vance. Idea I know what you mean about picking just one...but at the pace I build...Embarrassed

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by VanceCrozier on Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:40 PM

hehe - you'll have more than a year!! Yes, I know what you mean. My brain is already looking forward to this one, and I don't even have kits in hand yet! Meanwhile I'm going nuts trying to detail a P-38, and Manny is cracking the whip on me trying to get time in on a scratch-built Horten wing. What have I done? Indifferent

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.