SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Weekend Madness GB November 13-15th 2009

664 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Weekend Madness GB November 13-15th 2009
Posted by razordws on Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:59 AM

I ran a similar GB last year around this time and had a lot of fun.  The rules are pretty simple and I'll post the rules from the last build below to get you started.  We may change some rules once we get people signed up and we all agree on any changes.  Check out last year's build which has been resurected by Lewbud.  Finished models from that build are on page one.  Please let me know if you are interested and I'll add you to the list.  I have set the date for November 13-15th but this is still open to negotiation so if you would like to join but can't do that weekend please let me know!!!  

Here are the rules:

Open to everyone

Any model type (armor, aircraft, ship, auto, fantasy, figures, etc.)

Any scale

Out of the box or AM - your choice 

Cross over builds with other Group Builds are allowed

Must be completely unstarted (sniffing the styrene is okay but no snipping parts off and cleaning them up - if you've previously snipped the parts off the sprue thats okay but as of now no touchy!)

Must post pics at the start of the unbuilt model

Must post pics of the finished model at the deadline - if you don't quite finish by the deadline you Must still post pics of the currrent state of the model at the deadline.

Post as many pics of the progress along the way as you can

Since everyone's schedule and responsibilities differ there is no official start time.  However, the build will be limited to 48 hours, preferably over the Friday/Saturday/Sunday of (NOVEMBER 13th to the 15th).  So, if you start at 5:00pm on Friday you must finish by 5:00pm on Sunday.  If you don't start until 11:00pm on Friday you have until 11:00pm on Sunday.

For those who want to participate but whose weekends don't fall on the traditional Sat-Sun you are welcome to participate on the days that you do have off (eg:Mon.-Tues) just keep to the same time frame (48 hrs) and as close to the designated weekend that you can.  Anything outside of the week before or after would not be encouraged.

HAVE FUN!!!

The Badge:  Feel free to grab it now.

smaller version

The Cast of lunatics Wink [;)]

razordws:  1/72 Tamiya J7W1 Shinden FINISHED PAGE 32

bondoman: 1/72 Mach 2 Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark FINISHED PAGE 30 & 1/72 Tamiya F4D-1 Douglas Skyray Shock [:O] FINISHED PAGE 31

Summit:  1/72 Heller P.Z.L. PIIc FINISHED PAGE 27

Photobucket

lewbud:  1/144 Minicraft AC-130H FINISHED PAGE 30 (more pics 33)

dupes:  1/72 Fujimi Harrier FINISHED PAGE 27 (more pics 28)

BrownEyes:  1/72 Fujimi Harrier FINISHED PAGE 27 (more pics 30)

-Neu-:  1/72 Hasegawa Ki-84  FINISHED PAGE 24 (more pics 28)

firesmacker:  1/48 Revell Spitfire Mk. II  FINISHED PAGE 32

stikpusher: 1/48 Academy Thunderbirds F-16  FINISHED PAGE 33

Daywalker:  Hasegawa F4U Corsair Eggplane FINISHED PAGE 27

Axel Smith:  1/48 Tamiya 6x4 Krupp Protze kz.70 FINISHED PAGE 30

dioramator:  1/48 Tamiya Tiger I early production FINISHED PAGE 24 

sfcmac:  1/48 Tamiya Lancaster FINISHED PAGE 23 Shock [:O]Shock [:O]Shock [:O]

wyoroy: 1/72 Airfix Wildcat - FAA markings

osher: 1/72 Hasegawa Shinden Kai

bobbaily:  1/24 Revell '57 Chevy

KJ200:  Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr1

Dougums:  1/35 Tamiya Willys Jeep and a few mechanic figs FINISHED PAGE 26

Konigwolf13:  1/72 Hasegawa GR Mk.3 Harrier FINISHED PAGE 25

PANZERJAGER:  1/35 Vision Models M1A1 Pack Howitzer FINISHED PAGE 25

Oddmanrush:  1/72 Matchbox A-7 Corsair II FINISHED PAGE 33

M1 A1 A2 Tanker:  1/48 Eduard P-400 Weekend Edition

Dave

Posted by bondoman on Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:19 AM
I'm in! Oh yippee! The timeframe works for me, loose enough too. Thanks, Dave.
Posted by Summit on Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:31 AM

Dang, Looks like  Bondo got here first...Pirate [oX)]

Im in, not a clue on what the entry will be ~ but most likely an old classic kit...

Sean "I've reached nearly fifty years of age with my system." Weekend GB 2008
Posted by razordws on Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:36 AM
Bondo, Sean, Cool!!! Cool [8D]  I'll start the list.

Dave

Posted by lewbud on Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:43 PM
I'm so there.  Probably won't try something as ambitious as 3 this time around, but you never know.  Have no clue what I'm going to build.  As for dates the Thanksgiving thing was good last year, just a suggestion.

Buddy- Those who say there are no stupid questions have never worked in customer service.

Posted by dupes on Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:23 PM

I can NOT believe that it's been 10 months since the last Weekend Madness...10 MONTHS???? Shock [:O]

I am absolutely in for this one - and I will NOT allow myself to be distracted by any models other than the one on my bench this time through. Heh. Wink [;)]Thumbs Up [tup]

Posted by Luftwoller on Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:38 PM

Me me me me me me me, Please Sir, I have an Albatross from Eduard in 1/48. Can i come and play. Also you have to make Fupesy change his Avatar back to Lycra man!  Superhero   ...Guy

..'Your an embarrassment to the human genus, makes me ashamed to call myself Homo'.
Posted by dupes on Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:41 PM
Haaaahahahahhaaa...maybe if I get a new (good) lycra man pic I'll change the avatar. Just for you, Lufty! Laugh [(-D]
Posted by -Neu- on Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:46 PM
Depending on the weekend, I'm in... the question is what to build. I'll probably go with a 1/72 academy typhoon or an older hasegawa Ki-84 (because I can do a NMF in a few hours.)

Weekend Madness GB tag
Posted by dupes on Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:59 PM
Hey, is Columbus Day weekend a possibility? Haven't actually checked the dates for it or anything...but it isn't too far away.
Posted by -Neu- on Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:04 PM
Thats thanksgiving in Canada... it might not be the best weekend for some.
Weekend Madness GB tag
Posted by firesmacker on Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:44 PM

Like you even have to ask. Hell Yes I'm in...

Not sure about the kit yet. Probably an A/C in 1:72

Regards,

Jeff

Posted by stikpusher on Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:51 PM
I am interested.... I have a few candidates...

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by razordws on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:03 PM

Awesome!  I'm glad there is so much interest.  Propeller [8-]Tongue [:P]Propeller [8-]

Columbus day or Thanksgiving up here in Canada does not work for me.  I'm expecting company that weekend and its one thing to sneak off and build while company is visiting but it's quite another thing to host the group build at the same time. 

The dates that work best for me are:

Oct 24-25

Nov 7-8

Nov 14-15

Nov 28-29

So everyone get out your calenders and lets have a vote.

Dave

Posted by razordws on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:05 PM
Dupes, that Avatar is scaring me man!!!  Shock [:O]Shock [:O]Shock [:O]

Dave

Posted by firesmacker on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:12 PM

I can do any of those dates so just plug in my vote wherever it's needed...Wink [;)]

I know there are few rules besides not starting early and most importantly to have fun but guys, please try and finish no matter the result. The last time we did this, too many folks dropped out because they realized they couldn't build the perfect kit in 48 hours. The point, unless I am mistaken, is to see what you can crank out in the time alloted. And having fun. If you haven't done this before, it is A LOT of funTongue [:P]

I'm not trying to come across like I'm making rules here, just trying to get guys to throw caution to the wind and have a blast while doing it.

Oh, and Guy, an Eduard kit in 48 hours? You are indeed nuts my friendMake a Toast [#toast]

Regards,

Jeff

Posted by -Neu- on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:48 PM
Personally, I'd really prefer the October 24th weekend because I know everybody is away and I can devote most of my time to it.

I'll just confirm now that I'll do Hasegawa's Ki-84 in 1/72... I think I have a reasonable chance of finishing it in two days unlike the multicoloured typhoon.
Weekend Madness GB tag
Posted by razordws on Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:03 PM

firesmacker wrote:

I know there are few rules besides not starting early and most importantly to have fun but guys, please try and finish no matter the result. The last time we did this, too many folks dropped out because they realized they couldn't build the perfect kit in 48 hours. The point, unless I am mistaken, is to see what you can crank out in the time alloted. And having fun. If you haven't done this before, it is A LOT of funTongue [:P]

Well said Jeff.  This was a new experience for a lot of people last time we did this so hopefully a few lessons were learned along the way.  Some planning and preparation needed but essentially this goes back to banging one out just like when we were kids.

Also though, other commitments do pop up and we do understand...  well except for Dupes and that "other" model thing last year.  Wink [;)]

firesmacker wrote:

Oh, and Guy, an Eduard kit in 48 hours? You are indeed nuts my friendMake a Toast [#toast]

Oh Guy doesn't actually build the models.  He has his elves Wingus and Dingus build them.  He just cracks the whip while watching his favorite football club lose again!  Lol!

NOW... whose going to track down Sarge and tell him he has to build a kit in 48 hours!!!  Guy... that's your homework!!!

Dave

Posted by bondoman on Friday, September 11, 2009 2:47 AM

Here is my pick; the Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark. Mach 2 model, 1/72. The only AM bit will be an ejection seat.

Posted by razordws on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:04 AM
Beautiful aircraft Bill but I've heard horror stories about the fit of those Mach 2 kits.  Have you read any reviews on this particular kit?

Dave

Posted by Luftwoller on Friday, September 11, 2009 10:09 AM
 razordws wrote:

firesmacker wrote:

Oh Guy doesn't actually build the models.  He has his elves Wingus and Dingus build them.  He just cracks the whip while watching his favorite football club lose again!  Lol!

NOW... whose going to track down Sarge and tell him he has to build a kit in 48 hours!!!  Guy... that's your homework!!!

Insulting the glorious Reds and dishing out homework...Me thinks power has gone to your head LOL...but ill be right on it boss  Bow Down

Firesmacker, as for the Eduard kit...Its a weekender, but dont tell anyone  Quiet   

...Guy

..'Your an embarrassment to the human genus, makes me ashamed to call myself Homo'.
Posted by bondoman on Friday, September 11, 2009 8:42 PM

razordws wrote:
Beautiful aircraft Bill but I've heard horror stories about the fit of those Mach 2 kits.  Have you read any reviews on this particular kit?
Nope, but I've built a few M2 kits and they bear a general resemblance to their subjects!

My weekend GB criteria are:

simple paint scheme.

No exposed and complicated engine.

Kind of like an armor model. Build, paint, weather, done.

And most of all, don't speed build a kit that could have been better if more time were spent. There's no sense in that.

Posted by razordws on Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:11 PM
 bondoman wrote:

My weekend GB criteria are:

simple paint scheme.

No exposed and complicated engine.

Kind of like an armor model. Build, paint, weather, done.

And most of all, don't speed build a kit that could have been better if more time were spent. There's no sense in that.

Sounds like good advice Bill! Thumbs Up [tup]

After reading that and having a sleepless night last night (too many cookies I think Blush [:I]) I wnet rooting through the stash and came up with the perfect kit for this GB.  Sean may recognize it as it spent some time in his stash as well Wink [;)]  Thanks again Sean! Thumbs Up [tup]

Very simple kit.  No cockpit, no engine and a simple green over Grey paint job!  Piece of cake...  (famous last words)  Painting the figure might be the only hold up.

Dave

Posted by bondoman on Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:16 PM
Neat choice, Dave. OK, I'll do a figgy too. What's Sean going to build?
Posted by razordws on Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:19 PM
As for the Date of this build I am just going to go ahead and pic one as there has not been a lot of input to date and we may have some people siting on the fence until the date is set so lets pick November 14-15 as that is the best date for me.  My job should be done for the season by then and it's my birthday that weekend too so the family might be a bit more understanding of my self indulgence! Big Smile [:D]  I'm still open to changing it if it doesn't work for the majority so speak up if there is a problem.

Dave

Posted by razordws on Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:32 PM

bondoman wrote:
What's Sean going to build?

Hmmm...  there is a certain polish design that I think would be a good candidate!!! Evil [}:)] Heheheheheh!!!

...and where is Sarge???  Why hasn't he signed up yet!!!  Grumpy [|(]

Dave

Posted by bondoman on Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:40 PM
That sounds good Dave.
Posted by Summit on Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:33 AM
 razordws wrote:

bondoman wrote:
What's Sean going to build?

Hmmm...  there is a certain polish design that I think would be a good candidate!!! Evil [}:)] Heheheheheh!!!

Blast Pirate [oX)]  there are No Surprises with this crew. I thought I would build this to keep with the "Polish" theme from the last one. Its like Dave is a mindreader also besides being a Modeling Master Air Brush Whizzzz......

So now that the secret has been hinted at my build will be a --------

P.Z.L P11c

Photobucket

1/72 kit by Heller....

Closest thing to a "Gull Wing" I will build..  Sorry Frank - nah not really Wink [;)]

Posted by Summit on Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:36 AM
 razordws wrote:

Sounds like good advice Bill! Thumbs Up [tup]

After reading that and having a sleepless night last night (too many cookies I think Blush [:I]) I wnet rooting through the stash and came up with the perfect kit for this GB.  Sean may recognize it as it spent some time in his stash as well Wink [;)]  Thanks again Sean! Thumbs Up [tup]

Very simple kit.  No cockpit, no engine and a simple green over Grey paint job!  Piece of cake...  (famous last words)  Painting the figure might be the only hold up.

Great choice Dave Approve [^] be sure to save some of those cookies for the start of the GB Propeller [8-]

and your Very Much welcome Thumbs Up [tup]

Posted by bondoman on Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:13 AM

Needs a figgie, methinks. I'll call him Little Naminski. Let's make this one a classic.

Does anyone know what ejection seat the Skyshark had? I can't find the info.

Edit: It's the "Yankee Extraction System" if it's the same as the Skyraider, which I believe would be the case. Need one of those puppies in 1/72. Anyone find me a linkie?

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.