SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Diorama Group Build/Contest

75 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Diorama Group Build/Contest
Posted by Hans von Hammer on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:50 AM

Anyone interested? I'd like minimum of seven (7) dio-hards... Any scale, any subject, any era... Shadow-boxes too...

Building time-frame is 229 days from start-date, probably next month, near the or on the 1st.

No, I say again NO WIPS, crossovers from other GBs, or pre-fabs (i.e. die-cast).   This is a "start from Zero diorama build. No common "Theme", unless it's decided by the group that a theme is wanted (i.e. WW2 or Vietnam-era, Home-front,etc).

If it's decided that a theme is wanted, it will be voted on and must pass by 2/3rd majority or better. 

Bases may NOT be bigger than 11 x 14 inches (230mm x 356mm). 

No "vignettes" or diplays models sitting on landscaped bases.  This is a diorama-build, and the diorama tells a "story".   If a figure is the main subject, there must be at least two (2) of them, and they need to be "doing something"... Show the kit's main subject "doing it's thing"...

Full set of rules will be posted ONE WEEK prior to the start-date.  Before you ask though, yes SOME nudity is allowed, but it MUST be of a nature that can be published in FSM or posted in the forum... Manny...Wink)

WIP photos are encouraged, but not required...  Personally, I would limit photos to WIP-shots of the models, structures, vegitation, painted or re-posed figures, etc, and NOT the story or layout... This will keep "Idea Theft" to a minimum... 

There will be two prizes:  First Place will receive a classic Monogram kit originally featured in one of Shep Paine's outstanding Monogram dioramas... Will be either 1/48th aircraft or 1/32-1/35 AFV (your choice of genre, my choice of kit)...

Last Place will receive a copy of Shep Paine's How to build Dioramas.

Posted by SteveM on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:06 PM

This sounds great, but I don't think I will be done with my current dio WIP in time to finish one for this group build.

Howabout a 3000 day building time frame? then I might could...

Steve M.

On the workbench: ginormous Kharkov dio

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, August 12, 2011 10:40 AM

3000 days might be a fizzle...

Posted by K-dawg on Friday, August 12, 2011 10:59 AM

This sounds like an interesting GB. The last one I was in was a Panther GB back in 2002 or 2003 I believe. I was gearing up to start on a diorama fairly soon anyway.

Kenneth

Kenneth Childres, Central Arkansas Scale Modelers

Posted by vespa boy on Friday, August 12, 2011 11:03 AM

This sounds like a great project and if I included figures or vehicles or obvious narrative in my dioramas, I would be in, but its not something I can do, sorry. I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape.

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar

This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B.,
I ain't got time for that now

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, August 12, 2011 12:42 PM

Ok, that's two... Need to get five more. If I get close in here, I'll post it in the other hoochs... That'll probably snag one or two more..

Posted by Subhuman1 on Friday, August 12, 2011 6:19 PM

Ok sign up one more, maybe this should be enough to get me actually building after a year of lurking on the forums here Smile

Posted by Bish on Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:52 PM

Damn, theres no way i can join in on this one, i just can't commit to any new GB's at the moment, and probably not until 2013.  But i will certainly be keeping a close eye on it. And maybe if its a hit, maybe a Diorama II GB in a couple of years.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by kermit on Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:53 PM

Not for any contest purposes (as i probably will end up with last place looking at all the talent on here) but i do like a dio every now and then and 229 days is more than enough time for me. Count me in sir!

That is, provided a theme if there is going to be a theme (i say keep it open) is something i can relate to.

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by 101stAirborne on Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:37 PM

Can I enter a diorama that I had started and never finished? Or would that give me an unfair advantage somehow?

Models on the bench:

Too many to count!

Posted by shoot&scoot on Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:01 PM

I'm in the same boat as 101stAirborne.  Been working on one literally for the last 3 years and this just might be the push I need to finish it.  Any chance of upping the base size a little bit?  I may be a wee over the 11 X 14 inch size.

Pat.

Posted by Subhuman1 on Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:49 PM

A bit of leway on the size would be kind of nice,but I can survive either way. Found a kit I'd like to use but it is  a hair, ok maybe a mustache, over the limit, but nothing a razor and some ingenuity couldn't solve.Smile

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:08 AM

I could go for a 10-20% "fudge-factor" in size... I'm not actually going to come to your house and measure it, after all... 'Cept maybe if Bish joins...Stick out tongue

I really kind of want this thing to go from "Zero" though, since there IS a real and tangible "prize" to be won...

The 229-day limit is nogotiable though, I only threw that in as nod to Von Manstein and his groupies.... Could go for a year, but that's the upper-limit...

My goal is to get into the GB forum with this idea and pop a few "Dio-cherries" as well...  This is still a "feeler" after all, and nothing is solid until there's enough "Diorama guys" signed up... But we're really close...

Posted by BaBill212 on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:25 AM

I do like the sound of this one Hammer....  dio's are my favorite!  I've had a great diorama scene bouncing around in my head for a while,, which I will build when I get a chance.       Unfortunately I'm presently committed to 2 other GB's and I wouldn't want to get to the point of overload.

BUT, I'll sure be watching,,,  sounds like fun

Bill

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:57 AM

Depends on how cool the badge is...

Posted by VanceCrozier on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:01 PM

Re: RE:Diorama Broup Build/Contest

uhhh Hans.... what's a "Broup"? Embarrassed Wink

On the bench: Airfix 1/72 Wildcat; Airfix 1/72 Vampire T11; Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister

Posted by Bish on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:27 PM

Hans, the only way i could come on board is if i could do a Dio for a kit thats already been built. I have about 7 built kits, all done for GB's, ones that have finished sometime ago, and the kits are waiting for Dio's. Ashides from my current build and the 2 other GB's i am commited to, there's no way i want to be starting any new kits for at least a year.

If you allow it, it's only the kits that have been built, i haven't started the Dioramas yet.

Posted by sanderson_91 on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:37 PM

I'd like to join this build if you've got the room!  I've never done a diorama so I think that this would be a good time to start.  I've been wanting to do one for quite a while but can't seem to get motivated to follow through.  I think a build with some rules and a deadline are a great way to start out.  Not sure what I'll do, but I have plenty in the stash to choose from.  Thanks!

Steve

Posted by 101stAirborne on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:36 PM

I'll join, but I am going to finish a diorama I already started so don't enter me in the competition, just the Group Build. Besides I have the Shep Paine book anyway.

Models on the bench:

Too many to count!

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, August 19, 2011 3:03 PM

VanceCrozier

Re: RE:Diorama Broup Build/Contest

uhhh Hans.... what's a "Broup"? Embarrassed Wink

Noticed that too.. Dunno what y'all did to screw up your post-titles...Wink

Gotcha covered, 101...

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, August 19, 2011 3:06 PM

Bish: Hans, the only way i could come on board is if i could do a Dio for a kit thats already been built.

I dunno, have to mull it over a bit, Bish...Meanwhile,  Whatta y'all think? Is it OK with ya? 

Posted by Bish on Friday, August 19, 2011 3:31 PM

O go on, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Posted by troublemaker66 on Friday, August 19, 2011 5:21 PM

I`ll give it a shot...built a Wright Flyer dio once for my kids school but wasn`t very difficult, just sand on a base..lol.  I have no idea what I`ll be doing though. Does the dio have to be military in nature or whatever we want to do?

Len Pytlewski

Posted by sanderson_91 on Friday, August 19, 2011 9:13 PM

Hans von Hammer

Bish: Hans, the only way i could come on board is if i could do a Dio for a kit thats already been built.

I dunno, have to mull it over a bit, Bish...Meanwhile,  Whatta y'all think? Is it OK with ya? 

Hans:

I'm OK with including a kit that's already built.  I'm not planning on using something already built or in progress but have not problem with anyone else doing so. 

Steve

Posted by Subhuman1 on Friday, August 19, 2011 9:54 PM

For what it is worth, it is no bother to me. Just someone else to lose that Shep Paine book to :)

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, August 19, 2011 11:04 PM

Does the dio have to be military in nature or whatever we want to do?

di-o-ram-a:  di·o·ram·a- (d-rm, -räm) - n.

A three-dimensional miniature or life-size scene in which figures, stuffed wildlife, or other objects are arranged in a naturalistic setting against a painted background.
In other words, build what ya want, TM...Wink
It doesn't have to be military, no... According to Shep Pines, my personal diorama hee-ro, "A diorama, in the modern sense, has come to mean any scene exeecuted in three dimensions, whether it is enclosed in a box or not."...
IMNSHO, the best dioramas do two things:
1: They show the subject "doing it's thing".
2: They tell a story (and a side-story sometimes)...
The story should be obvious and immediately apparent to the viewer... The viewer shouldn't need the diorama action (or in-action) explained to him/her...  If you include a narrative, it should be no longer than 2 or three lines...
If it takes a paragraph (or more) to describe what's happening, you've got a weak story... Any of the "Well, maybe this guy's doing this thing, or just finished doing that thing" stuff from a couple of viewers will result in confusion and generally indicates a poorly thought-out storyline... 
Telling the viewer what's happening, what the story is, should be done in a single word or three, if any narrative is needed...  An example of Shep's wording went like this: "A diorama of a Sherman tank, with a dead crewman hangin' out the hatch with the tank commander desparately trying to get his .50 cal working, but to no avail, could be titled with something like "Jammed!...  Drama and action...
A couple of dismounted GIs at a crossroads (with a sign nearby reading "Malmedy-8Km", with their M8 Greyhounds pointing in different directions, and holding maps  coud be titled, "Lost"...
With the M8s pointing in different directions, and one TC looking down at his map while the other points down a road, we know who's doing the talking, and who's doing the listening, and the story is readily apparent to the viewer... It's December, 1944, the Battle of the Bulge, just prior to the "Malmedy Massacre", and these two M8 crews are about to have a really bad day...
A '75 Vette at a gas station dio with a sign reading "NO GAS TODAY" hastily painted and set near the pumps, with the "Vetteman" Wink and Staion-owner in a shouting match tells us that it's 1976 or so, and the Arab Oil Embargo has hit home to the 'Vetteman...
So just build what ya want, and feel free to brain-storm about it...

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, August 19, 2011 11:21 PM

Ok Bish (and everyone else too)...  Using a previously completed model is OK...  BUT, no using previously completed dioramas or ones that're being "revamped".... The Diorama itself (base, ground-work, structures, figures, etc.. has to be started from scratch on or after the official start date... 

I, as a judge, will recuse myself...  However, I'm going to build one  "alongside" y'all, and in full compliance with the rules..  Rules will be posted in the GB Hooch NLT 1Sep 2011...  Hee's a sampling though...

1. Judge's decisions are final.  No arguing or back-chanel BS...

2. The Judge is always right.

3. If the judge is wrong, see Rule 2.Wink

Q: Should we use AMPS or IPMS format fior full rules? Or should KISS them? Input, please...

Posted by Subhuman1 on Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:10 AM

No idea how the AMPS or IPMS rules work, but looking at Von Hammers Rule#2 Bow Down , doesn't matter to me. I will just read up on which ever (if any) rules are chosen.

Posted by Bish on Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:29 AM

Never been in a contest, so no idea how they work, or what the rules are. Will leave it to you Hans. And thanks for letting me in.

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:52 AM

AMPS:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/contestRules.aspx

IPMS:

http://www.ipmsusa.org/NCC/Rules_2011.htm

A third possibility is a highly condensed version of both formats, 86-ing chicken-sh... .err... I mean, overly "nit-picky" anal-retentive stuff thrown out...

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.