SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

The 1/350 Pola "The Hard Way" WIP ~ The Ship that Must Be Built

46 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by TANGO 1 on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:11 PM

Good Heavens!

I wondered where you chaps had got to! I am most impressed with your sterling efforts gentlemen, well done indeed! Thumbs Up [tup]

Now, back to the mayhem......................!!!!Mischief [:-,]Big Smile [:D]

Regards, Darren. C.A.G. FAA/USNFAW GB
Posted by Daywalker on Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:40 AM

Cutting sections of Q-tips for life preservers?  Now THAT is absolutely brilliant!  What next?  Officers on the deck with little cups of coffee in their hand?

Great stuff guys, keep it coming!

Frank 

Posted by Summit on Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:41 AM

Darren -  Thanks for looking in. Yeah we jumped ship over in the FAA for a small break... I will have more updates on the Sea Gladiator after I finish messing with this Regi RO-43..

Photobucket
 I added some fine wire forwing struts and sawed the pontooons off the lower wings and re ~ attached with wire also.. Blindfold [X-)]

No area for the pilots so I drilled out two "offices" 

Photobucket

Sheesch my prop does not look as nice as Aarons P/E prop.. Sigh [sigh]

Oh well time to mask and paint the candy stripes on the upper wing Thumbs Up [tup]

Frank -  I have no clue what may be next Wink [;)] Great idea though..

Sean "I've reached nearly fifty years of age with my system." Weekend GB 2008
Posted by the doog on Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:41 AM

WOW!

Sean sent me this link to show me what he was up to, and I have to say that you guys are kicking BUTT on these builds!

You should SERIOUSLY consider writing this up as an article for FSM! It's got an "angle" that is really compelling and unique--the "team effort" thing.

Looks incredible, guys! 

Posted by sfcmac on Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:43 PM

Wow! Thanks a bunch fellows! Bow [bow] Sean that Aircraft is looking good! It should be sputtering off into the sky at any moment!

Have done a coupe things I'd like to share here.

Sorry Frank! I messed up on the coffee cups but Ol Bondo sez they drink eppresso anyways in Italy. Make a Toast [#toast] Small cups and mine look more like Modern art tumblers.

As far as the crew though I am trying these little PE fellows for the first time.

They gave me fits positioning and falling over until I came up with a system that worked.

I put little beads of white glue on the bottoms of their legs and let it dry. I have read it can also be used to give the flat PE fellows some 3d form but my eyes were going crossed.Dunce [D)]

After it dryed I grabbed them by the head with tweezers and dipped their feet into som CA and they stuck the 1st time everytime. Gave enough lee way to get them good and straight then when fully dry they are on there really sturdy.

Now I am sure this probably has been explained 1000 times by the expert shipmakers here but I learned a few things this 1st time using them.

You should put them in place as you build to allow some to be positioned in hard to reach areas that can't be accessed after built.

They look more convincing in numbers. 2 or 3 fellows on a spot rather than single figures spread across the ship.

The scare crow poses can actually be bent and modified to have a more natural look.

Probably coulda learnt more but I got tired. My Brain hurt 2 or 3 things a day is my limit.

Not wanting to get too fancy buying extras I used the internet, My printer and Power point to create some scale flags that were accurate in look.  Decals on lead foil may give a better wavy appearance but these are more like the old Revell stamp flags as that what I was used to as a kid.

The National flag, The Italian Naval Battle Banner, and the Italian Naval Ensign shown above with a couple of signal pennants.

An Admiral's flag forward.

Italian Naval service flag on the bow and the stern is empty as she is on a high priority convoy defense mission to North Africa.

Here are a couple shots of the crew forward. Servicing the RO-40 and such.

You can see my life perservers on the railings as well. I think they make a nice touch to the plain railings.

Thanks for bearing with me fellows your the best!

Posted by Daywalker on Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:00 PM

Boy, those people are REALLY small!  Aaron- Are you wearing an optivisor yet?  If you're not, you better get one before your brain explodes! Shock [:O]

Again, love those life preservers- brilliant idea. Bow [bow]

Sean- Cutting off floats?  Wires for struts, in 1/350?  Are you guys BOTH nutz? Propeller [8-]

Frank 

Posted by Summit on Friday, October 2, 2009 1:10 PM

Frank -  It still amazes me that Aaron does not use an Optivisor.. I use one combined with a set of reading glasses and I still have a battle with the bits..

Back to the Pola, I started adding the scratched liferafts. The supplied kit picture has them a Very Yellow color with red stripes. (makes for a good target)  

Photobucket

I had brought to my attention the centers were to "yellow" so digging in the spares box I found some leftover mesh from a "King Tiger" grill . I made a pattern and went from there.

Photobucket Almost looks just like the reference pic...

Posted by sfcmac on Friday, October 2, 2009 10:36 PM

Man I Am loving those rafts! they look better than the ref pic!  A great effect well worth your efforts!  Do I smell popcorn? An Optivisor would make me simply irresistable to all the girls! As it is I have to be cautious leaving the house!

That ref pic is so much more detailed than what the kit gives you and your making it even better than that! Great stuff!

Posted by Luftwoller on Saturday, October 3, 2009 6:34 AM

Ah ha, Ive found you both. Dont you know its way past your bedtimes? How did you manage to get in over here? they must have very low standards thats all im saying LOL.

As for the builds. Stellar lads, absolutely Stellar. Youve made a committed aircraft man, crave a ship to build. Dont think id have the patience or talent to do half the scratchin you 2 have though.

Now ive found you both, im here for the long run. So keep the updates a coming. Is there a prize for who finishes 1st? LOL.

...Guy

..'Your an embarrassment to the human genus, makes me ashamed to call myself Homo'.
Posted by Summit on Saturday, October 3, 2009 2:31 PM

Guy -  You know what a machine Aaron is. He is still working away at the bench at 3:am while eating Burrito's and drinking Dunkin Donuts Coffee...... Not sure which one it is he gets the energy from..Shock [:O]

Updates - I am getting down to assembling the sub assemblys I have spread all over the bench.  The kit supplied mast and yard arms was not to impressive at all..

Photobucket It does have potential but I did not want to give the effort.

It was much easier to fab a new one that would be sturdier. Using bits of tubing and wire the madness began.

Photobucket

The results

Photobucket

And in place, yes it is leaning aft but it is only temporally sitting on the locator pin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for looking in.

Posted by warshipguy on Saturday, October 3, 2009 2:44 PM

I am very impressed with your work, especially on a mediocre kit.  I have long been in love with WWII Italian ships and wish that the manufacturers would start releasing kits of these very beautiful ships!

Bill Morrison

Posted by razordws on Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:29 AM
Sean, Aaron, good looking work guys.  Sean I think I'm going to have to send you my lifeboats from the snowberry.  Yours look so good in 1/350 scale that I'd really like to see what you could do in 1/72 scale.  Wink [;)]  Aaron, a whole crew in 1/350 scale.  What are you drinking... I want some!!! Tongue [:P]Propeller [8-]

Dave

Posted by Summit on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:44 AM

Bill -  Thank you for looking in and the nice comments.  Taking a kit like this and seeing what we can do with it is one of our most favorite things to do. This is my first ship since I was a Teenager, mostly I build aircraft.

I have a few updates to add , the booms for the lifeboats were not to my liking. Using some solder , brass wire and C/A these were really easy and quick to make.

Photobucket

Taking Aarons advice I made a little "sprue log" to get the aircraft up high enough to clear the deck obstacles instead of a cradle you wont see anyway. I also made "doghouses" for the chain out of 4 small strips of styrene. A piece of plastistruct box channel would of been ideal  - but you work with what you have on hand.

Photobucket

And the aircraft crane was made from two pieces of wire soldered together, stretched sprue for the pulleys and block, hook from a piece of .010" brass wire and I stretched what seemed to be a mile of sprue to get a piece thin enough for the cable. Also a small piece of aluminum tube for the base. 

Photobucket

Thanks for looking

Dave -  I am so looking forward to seeing the pics of your "Snowberry"  Thumbs Up [tup]

Posted by wyoroy on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:20 PM
Aaron & Sean, that's some great work guys.

Roy (Capt. Wyoroy FAAGB/USNFAWGB)

John 3:16

Posted by sfcmac on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:35 PM

Hey everyone the builds are now complete. Sean insisted I post the finished thread so please check it out! His Pola turned out most incredible!  I can't believe it is the HobbyBoss kit!

My thanks to all who viewed , helped and encouraged us!  You made a great build between friends all the more exciting for us!  Bow [bow]

Posted by iain on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:47 PM

sfcmac

Hey thank you everyone for the comments and views. This has really turned into a fun and enjoyable challenge to be sure!

I need to pay more attention to what Sean is doing as I totally missed that the kit had the rear main mast wrong as well. It is also a tripod to the first tier at least so chop hop again.

Also modified and mounted the auxillary boats. Didn't want to get to crazy now.

I found so old 1/350 AAA guns that I modified ( a little) They are very Little and replaced the kit ones and added the missing four that were on the Gorizia.

Replacement anchor chain courtesy of Sean!

Here are a few more zoom and flash piccies that make things look a bit gloosy and fouled. From the table it is really looking sharp. I think the Camera must give the optivisor view.  I have been noting flaws I see to correct. Mostly hobby knife clean up and painting but on the whole it looks good.

Here are the positions of the 8 PE guns. Aft mast guns.

Forward Forecastle guns.

Stern buggers

and the forward behind the gun guns on perforated platforms with sprue supports.

well ive had mine on order for a week now . this is a bit of insiration for me

would like to know however the chain size you used

thanks

iain

Posted by GMorrison on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:42 PM

Well this is curious. That's a really old thread. Most of those guys like Aaron and Sean are long gone from here.

Ian, is there something of yours in there? It looks like your model is in there in a quote box.

Look forward to what you have going.

Modeling is an excuse to buy books.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.